Friday, September 15, 2017

Two Unexpected New Friends

I made some friends today.   I didn’t set out to make friends, but sometimes things just happen.   I’d been talking with a friend of my for some time about going shooting.   He has guns (a bunch?) and likes to go to a shooting range from time to time.   I have no guns and don’t know really anything about guns or shooting them.

A surprising number of our friends and neighbors own guns.   From time to time someone will talk about going to the range and mention (usually) to my husband about going.   My husband has been interested and would have potentially come with us today only there was his motorcycle that needed to be picked up from service and three cakes he had to decorate for two events.  So it was just my friend and me.

I’ve shot a gun before and at the time I remembered the gun safety paperwork/test/video was a protracted process that made you too tired to even bother shooting a single round of ammunition by the time you were done.   But we went to a new location that had opened recently.   It was nice and included a very large amount of firearms and gear for sale, four gun ranges and a restaurant all within the building.

And their registration and gun safety process was significantly streamlined.   The video was reasonably short and explained what I needed to know to load and shoot a gun safely within the live range.   It mentioned there would be proctors on the range and they would help with questions and enforce the range rules.  The video said these proctors were, “some of the nicest people you could meet on a range”.   It also said they might become your new shooting friend.

After the video we paid for an hour, put on ear and eye protection and entered the range.  My friend set up, putting some guns up on the little shelf thing, putting the target up (I suggested the one of space invaders, he picked the one in the shape of a man’s torso).   Then he shot some rounds.  He showed me what to do, and we immediately realized we had to mirror image some of the things because I was left-handed.   Only guns aren’t completely symmetrical.  

The people in the lane next us were shooting an AK-47 or something very boomy beside us.   The sound wasn’t too loud because of the ear protection but the percussion through my body was odd.  I managed to hit the target though (which at five yards I thought would be harder to miss than hit).

It was about then that I met my first new friend.   One of those very friendly range proctors.  He could tell I hadn’t a clue what I was doing so he told me how to stand, hold my arms and grip the firearm.   It was good advice.   I looked at my friend and he and I nodded the understanding nod that neither he nor I minded the employees stepping in and giving me advice.

The next gun I shot was easier because of that stance advice I think, not sure though because my experience was at about twelve rounds of total ammo.   And that’s when I met my second new friend, also a proctor.   He was a left-handed shooter.   He knew what to tell me.   He was confident that I should do it just that particular way.   And what he told me did make sense because I felt like I had a better overall grip of the weapon as it kicked back after each shot.

We shot some more weapons.  Ah good, I just got a text from my friend asking what guns we used today.   He said, “Small to large. .380, 2 different 9 mm, 45 caliber, 44 magnum”.   The 44 was mean.   The .380 I think was very hard to hold on to because it’s so small.   They were each interesting.  Especially with my two new range friends coming over and giving me more advice on grip and stance.

Then at the end as we were getting ready to leave the left-handed proctor tried to talk me into buying a gun.  He had some excellent reasons he  thought I should have a gun.   I didn’t share his reasons, which was fine, I was hungry and was more interested in getting some Mexican food at that point.

The Big Boy Update:  I was in the basement working yesterday when my son was having his music lesson with Chelsea.   She was playing music and he was telling her what kind of music he wanted to go with his flips and parkour or fighting or whatever moves he was making up.   As I was about to leave I heard him say, “I want you to teach me how to play some brainwashing music.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter was being rowdy in the van going home today.   Her driver who is very, very kind told me today she was having troubles with my daughter.   We’ll see if we can find out what’s happening to make my daughter cranky.   It’s a very long day for her I know and a lot of time in a car.

No comments:

Post a Comment