Saturday, September 16, 2017

Back To School Social

I think this is our sixth year going to the Back to School social at our children’s school.   Or correction, our son’s school and our daughter’s old school.   It’s a lovely event that gets more enjoyable every year because we know more and more people at the school.  

This year there was an estimation miscalculation that involved not enough food being available for the event.   I don’t know if it was an error on the part of the caterers or the staff coordinating the event, but we ate everything and some people got no food at all.  

There was enough alcohol (there always is at our school events) and people didn’t seem to mind—most of our families are pretty nice and understanding about things not always going to plan.   There was a speech by our head of school and some introductions and welcomes to new people and those of us in the back who never pay attention and have a short attention span talked in quiet tones until the presentation was done.

I talk “shop” a lot and got a lot of time in discussing in more depth things I couldn’t have accomplished via a meeting or before & after board meetings.   So I was happy.   But my feet are tired.   Four hours in heels isn’t exactly the same as sneakers, which is what I wear the majority of the time.

The Big Boy Update:  We drove up yesterday afternoon to my neighbor’s house, stopping in to wave hello before getting home to school.   My son rolled down his window and said to my close friend who is my age, “Bryna, you look old.”   She asked if she was looking old today.   He wasn’t done though and said, “what’s that hair on your chin?”   She laughed and said she loved him.    She had the late afternoon sun right in her face and I suggested to my son that it might be the lighting and not that Bryna was looking any older or hairier than she normally did.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has explained to me that she doesn’t know how to make a “loose ball” of toilet paper.   She says she only how to do the “tight balls” which I have explained aren’t ideal.   A tight ball of toilet paper is a lot like taking a sheet of office paper and crumpling it up into the tightest ball you can.   It’s great if you’re looking for a ball to throw at the trash can, but doesn’t leave you a lot of room to write on.   So she’s now working on loose balls for her toilet paper needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment