Thursday, June 30, 2016

The Unknown Ringtone

A cell phone ring tone can make a statement about a person.   Some people select one of the included tones that come with their phones.   Other people never even change from the initial default ring tone.   Then there are other people who go to the opposite extreme, having a custom ring tone with specific tones for certain callers.

I’ve had problems with ring tones over the years.   Mostly the problem was one of negative reinforcement.   This goes back to before I had children and was working a job that while exciting, was also high stress.   The calls to my cell phone were mostly for work and were usually unpredictable.   Did one of my instructors arrive on-site with no classroom materials and un-imaged classroom machines?   Had one of our sales team sold a course that didn’t exist to an important client?   Or was it an employee who had found a job that didn’t require eighty percent travel and had decided to resign in two weeks, even though we’d booked him out for the next two months?

It wasn’t all bad, but sometimes it was, and all it takes is those sometimes that make you dread the phone ringing.   I would change my ring tone every so often because I just couldn’t take the current ring tone any more.    That was then though and this is now.   My stress level is of an altogether different sort.  Yes, we have our challenges, but on the whole, I don’t mind when my phone rings.   Usually, it’s someone I even want to talk to.

But I still like to change my ring tone from time to time just for fun.   One of my favorites has been the Close Encounters of the Third Kind theme, which is both eerie and hopeful.   Recently though I was re-watching a favorite television show from a few years back and I realized the short theme song would make a perfect ring tone.   It was very distinctive and beautiful.   I changed my ring and wondered how many other fans of the television show I’d discover from having the theme song as my ring tone.

It’s close to six months later and not one person has recognized the theme song.   No one has even asked about it, saying it was familiar but they couldn’t place it.   I thought the show was popular and was disappointed when it was cancelled after five years, but maybe it wasn’t as popular as I had thought.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son and I ate outside last night at a restaurant while my husband and daughter did their own thing together at home.  A beautiful black crow landed near our table and intently watched us and hopped around, hoping to get some food.   My son caused him to back off three different times because he stood up and held his arm straight out, towards the bird.   It wasn’t until the third time when I realized he was inviting the crow to land on his arm.    He had had a group of bird experts named “Claws” come to his classroom, bringing large birds to show them.   They each had an opportunity to have a black crow land on their arm so they could have their picture taken with it.   My son had watched his classmates each take their turn and then had had his turn.   We saw a picture of him with the crow but it wasn’t until I saw him putting his arm out in offering that I put together what happened in class that day.   When I asked him about it he told me he wanted it to land on him.   We had a talk about wild birds and then I suggested he share some fruit by throwing it on the ground, which our crow gladly accepted.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I made quesadillas for my children for lunch.   My daughter was looking intently at one of the slices and told me, “I can see the brain of cheese in the middle.”   I asked her if that meant brains were inside, if she thought brains were made of cheese, if brains were the color yellow—basically a lot of leading questions—and got no help other than, “yeah.”

No comments:

Post a Comment