Sunday, June 26, 2016

Water Is Water Is Water

It was hot today and we ended up doing several things with the children which involved water.   I had suggested in the morning when they weren’t sure what to do that they could fill up the little plastic pool in the back yard.   This suggestion was met with a wholly unenthusiastic response so I let it drop.

Sometime later my daughter ran into the house, excited because her friend, Madison, was going to the pool and could we go too?   We scrambled to get ready and drove off to the pool we both have a membership to.   My children were interested in the water but decided they were more hungry than interested in the water so we left to go eat and I contemplated coming back after lunch.

After lunch I was met with requests of “can we go home now” because—and get this—they now wanted to play with water in the back yard.     We arrive home and I get not one, not even two but three little splash pools of different sizes configured (with their help) in the back yard.   We sprayed water on the slide with one of the pools at the base and they pulled a chair over so they could jump from the chair into the other medium-sized pool.

Satisfied I’d finally gotten them happily focused on something cool and watery on this hot day, I went inside.    I looked out five minutes later to see them playing some other games entirely with stuffed animals on the hill, completely ignoring the water.

Water wasn’t a draw today in the eighty-five degree weather; I wonder if it will be tomorrow?

The Big Boy Update:   I was trying to explain to my children how long it was until we’d be visiting their cousins in New Jersey.   After listening to my explanation my son said, “do you mean two months ’til after tomorrow it’s next week?”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter came inside this afternoon with a tiny, smushed something she proudly told me was a mushroom she found outside.   As I started to tell her it was a looking mushroom and not an eating mushroom she interrupted me and said, “this mushroom is poisonous, and, if you eat it, you are poisonous.”

No comments:

Post a Comment