Sunday, June 19, 2016

Three Cooked Meals

Today is Father’s Day, which means we’re suppose to honor our fathers (or husbands who are helping bring up our offspring).   This typically means catering to them in some way more special or atypical to how we live our lives the rest of the days of the year.   I celebrated with my husband today by having three home-cooked meals—by him.

“What?”, you say?  I know, right?   The idea came about last night when I saw my husband getting things ready to make pancakes in the morning for the family.  I reminded him it was Father’s Day the following day to which he replied, “you know how I like to cook, cooking three meals tomorrow would be a great Father’s Day for me.”    Without a second though I shoved my hand out to shake on the deal and said, “done!  I would never want to deprive you of your father’s day wish.”

We don’t celebrate holidays such as Father’s Day, Mother’s Day and Valentine’s Day very much as a family, owing to the expectation we love and cherish each other every day of the year.   This has worked well for us, possibly because the aforementioned statement is true or possibly because we’re both too lazy to make a big to do about these holidays otherwise.   Whatever the reason may be, we’re happy in the way we celebrate as a family.

And as a family, we all enjoyed his pancakes, bacon and home fries breakfast, hamburger sliders for lunch and pasta for dinner.    I hope his day was an enjoyable one.   As for me, I’m already looking forwards to next Father’s Day.

The Big Boy Update:  This penmanship/writing/drawing thing can be frustrating to both my son and me.   We’re trying to practice every day—and by we, I mean me.   My son isn’t too keen on the whole thing, mostly because he sees it as work he’s not good at.   I know it needs to be fun for him to want to continue, but I lost my patience with him today, the details of which I won’t go into but both his any my patience was tried in the process.   Ultimately he came around and did some very good work with my husband and me a short while later.   He’s making significant progress which will hopefully be evident when he goes for an evaluation with the occupational therapist in a week.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Tomorrow my daughter goes to see her retina surgeon.   Today I experienced one of those depressive moments with her that crush the hope I have her vision will return or even improve some.   There were circumstances involved but the bottom line was me asking what she saw out of each of her eyes because she was in a receptive mood.   She told me about the right (multiple surgery) eye, “I only see black.”    I spoke with my father on the phone about this at some length today which wasn’t the best Father’s Day phone call I’m sure, but my daughter’s vision is on all of our minds.   Then, this afternoon, my husband caught my daughter in a reasonably good mood and patched her left eye to try and find out what the right eye could really see.   She was able to tell when he was waving at her and was able to see obstacles before walking into them (albeit just before hitting them).  So I still have hope the brain is a significant factor and the retina isn’t completely dead.


No comments:

Post a Comment