Sunday, May 1, 2016

It Split Again

This isn’t about stocks and how, to my great advantage, they split at the highest of times.   This is about my thumb.    It seems common to have something going on with a finger from time to time for many of us.   One person had surgery on a broken finger that took a long time to heal, another person had a fingernail that kept splitting, even when trimmed well-below the split line, and my husband had a long recovery after screwing his thumb (quite literally) with a power tool.  

Hands are so, well, handy.   We use them all day for so many things and when you’re a digit down, it can be frustrating, especially when it goes on and on.    At some point during the winter— it’s been so long now I don’t remember when it began—the skin on the tip of my thumb split.   It was painful but not to worry, I’d put a bandage and some medication on it and it would be good as new soon.

Easier believed than true.  Every time the painful crack would close up, the skin all around it would peel back in multiple directions.   The skin was dry and would catch on things and I was having to clip off skin from time to time so that it didn’t peel more.   Several times this winter I thought I was about to make it free from the Valley of the Persistent Thumb Cracks and then a suddenly it would come back in full force.

I got advice from people—either solicited not.   I should try putting vitamin E on it multiple times each day.  Try using Crazy Glue (or the medical grade equivalent) and close it shut so it has a chance to heal.   Had I been moisturizing it?   Maybe I need to wear gloves a lot.    Don’t forget to keep it covered with a bandage.  There were more, but those are the highlights.

Now that it’s warmer weather my skin isn’t as dry and I was hoping things would resolve.  To make sure I was giving the now-closed crack its best chance for staying that way, I’ve been keeping a bandage over the thumb for the majority the day this week with some type of moisturizing agent under the bandage.

Each day this week I’d pull the bandage off before getting in the tub each night to relax and look at the softer, less-peelier skin.   The crack was now closed and showed no signs of imminent dermal breach.  

Yesterday was our school’s auction and I knew I had lots to do physically with my hands so I went with my thumb lubed and bandaged with the intention of removing my stylish Batman bandage when I put my dress and heels on for the evening.

I remembered the dress and heels but forgot to take off the bandage.   Not to worry, I got several comments on my Batman-clad thumb.    I got home last night and let it air out after the long day yesterday.      This morning I woke up and said something very rude and nasty in the bed, catching my husband off guard.   He said, “are you okay?”   I replied, “no, now the other side of my healing thumb has cracked.”

The Big Boy Update:  My son and I went to dinner with my parents tonight.   He didn’t want to wear his normal clothes and opted instead a mash-up of his Halloween costume with his new flip flops.   I call it his, “Silver Ninja Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle” outfit.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   My daughter was going to Detroit today—by herself, as a four-year-old who can’t see.    That’s correct, that’s what the airline had in plan for her.   My husband booked their tickets via telephone call to the airline several weeks ago because they were applying refund vouchers from the last trip due to a change in plans.   This morning as my husband was trying to check them in for the flight he realized he had been charged for two tickets, but only my daughter’s had been ticketed.   He gets on the phone and yes, the booking agent had made several mistakes, my husband was told.   Only now there is a problem because the flight my daughter’s booked on is full.    Quick, my husband says, we need to leave in a few because he’s they can get us on an earlier flight.    We got them out the door and they made it to the airport only to find that new flight had been cancelled…and the counter agent can’t find a flight for them.    Pseudo-panic, only because my daughter has to be in the hospital at 6AM tomorrow morning and it’s a long drive.   Happy ending though, they were able to get on another flight and in just a few minutes they should be landing in Detroit, not that much later than their original arrival time.    Interesting travel day though.

No comments:

Post a Comment