Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Armpit Hair

I know, you weren’t expecting a post about armpit hair, were you?   Six months ago and I wouldn’t have even considered a post about such a topic.    The thing is, it’s not what you might think.   This is about a different kind of armpit hair.

I’ve been growing my hair out for what seems like far too long.   I plan on cutting it off…at some point.   Just not yet.   Having short hair is easier than long hair because short hair doesn’t take so darned long.   My hair grows very slowly, so the hair at the bottom of the longest strands is now three-years-old.   That’s a lot of washes, hair ties, drying, product spraying, flat ironing, sun damage, color and keratin treatment.  But for now it’s getting longer, slowly, and I deal with the extra time and management it takes to keep up long hair.  

There are things that happen when your hair gets long.   Things you notice at first as a novelty and then later don’t notice then because your hair just always does that.   For instance, when I put my hair in a pony tail and braid it to go running, it’s sort of a bulky mass that swings back and forth.   The first time it hit my shoulders when I was running was the strangest thing.   Every plod it would swish back and forth.   Then, I started to sweat and it wasn’t a swish so much as a wet brush type of action.

That’s not about armpits though, so let’s get to the good (or gory) stuff.    Did you know that long hair of a certain length gets stuck in your armpits?   Yah, it’s true.  I mean it’s not all up in your arm pit, maybe it’s more like the crook of your arm, only when your arm is closed by your side.  

It’s not stuck so much as in the way and you have to put your hair elsewhere.   Think about when you pull your pants up in the bathroom.   Your shirt will get in the way if you don’t move it first.    It’s a lot like that.   It’s also something I never would have thought was a side-effect of having long hair.

The Big Boy Update:  My son got in the car today telling me he had some requests.   First, he wanted a silver shirt.  It needed to be long sleeved.   Then, he wanted some black long pants.   They needed to have two pockets.   And finally, he wanted his hair cut, “like this” (gesticulations occur in the back seat that I cannot watch without endangering our lives).   I have him describe what I can only imagine to be a cross of a mohawk and a bowl cut.   I told him I would try to look for those things in the future.   Then I asked the key question I knew would shed some light on his requests: “who was wearing that outfit?”   “Oh”, he told me, “it’s Power Rangers Megaforce’s Orion.  Only the costume when he’s in human form.   That’s the one I want.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter likes to order things in a rainbow color scheme.   Yesterday she had some tracing cards and colored pencils.   I came back a little while later to find her too busy putting the tracing cards in order and the matching pencils beside them.   It was a spread of product worthy of a television commercial it looked appealing when she was finished.

Fitness Stuff:  I biked sixteen miles with my husband today.   I have new pedals and shoes that do this mating clipping thing that locks me into the pedal.   Sounds strange, but you can pedal on the down stroke, pull backwards, pull upwards and drag over for a full circle of muscle-based movement potential.   So they’re great, but you have to get out of them so you can get off the bike.   I only fell once today, going too slow and turning to see if my husband was behind me.   It’s a strange sensation realizing you’re going to fall on the ground because when you tried to move your foot in one direction it couldn’t because it was tethered and then it’s too late to stop the fall.   I was fine, small scratch was all.    Still, good lesson learned—when in doubt, go ahead and clip out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment