Friday, May 13, 2016

Hanger Art - Artist, Unknown

My children play in different parts of the house.  Some of the areas are adult areas, meaning mostly that there aren’t toys in all corners of the house.  The children have a cabinet of their kitchen things in the kitchen, another cabinet in the great room that’s the big catch all for stuff that gets left around, a closet in the basement, their bedroom and the bonus room.

We added another area, a closet in the guest room, after my daughter and her neighbor friend started to like to hide from the boys and play “baby” or “family” without being threatened by the superheroes, swords and bad guys the boys seem to thrive upon playing.

From time to time the closet gets a lot of play and then it’s forgotten for weeks.   One of the things the two girls like to do is get inside this small closet and climb up onto the shelves, which are at right angles and fairly easy to do.   I’m going to stop here and say a silent “thank you” again to our trim carpenter, Wayne, who made our house rock solid in all things wood-based, giving me high confidence the girls are in less danger climbing on the shelves than they would be from anything they might conjure up doing on the play set in the back yard.

Yesterday evening during bath time I was doing my typical sweep of the house to make sure they put everything up after play (frequent) and cleaning up where they didn’t (mostly).   When I opened the closet door I found this piece of artwork that just made me laugh.   I’m not sure how they were able to lean over, stand tall or reach around to get this built, but I was impressed.


What was more impressive was how darned long it too me to untangle the hangers from each other.

The Big Boy Update:  Today was Bring Your Parents to School day.   My son showed us some of the work he’s been doing at school.   Below is something called the Decanomial Cube he showed us.   Every piece from the 1x1 red square up to the 10x10 gold one he placed on the mat.   There is a lot going on beyond just placing pieces of cardboard in a pattern which is carried through the math curriculum in his class as well as into the elementary years later.   He was fast at it and was able to visually pick out the next width pieces very quickly and place them using his fine motor skills quite accurately.


The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  At Bring Your Parents to School day today my daughter showed my husband and me some of her favorite works.   Some of them she had to work harder on than others because of her visual impairment.   They have button, zipper and buckle frames that you use to practice things like unbuttoning and then buttoning back.    At one point she was working on getting one button redone using only her hands without engaging her eyes.   When my husband said she was working very hard on it she replied, “well, actually I’m using The Force”.

Non-Fitness Update:  My Apple Watch went haywire yesterday, counting active calories at a frightening rate—for no reason.   I hadn’t entered into “exercise mode” (which you need to do to burn significant calories) but they were ticking up as if I was running a marathon all day long.   At the end of the day it told me I had burned more calories than I’d ever done before at something like 3500+ calories.   This morning it was still out of whack so I implemented a maneuver I like to call the, “Reboot and Clean With Alcohol Until Things Settle Back Down.”   The move worked and now it’s back to reporting my slack days normally.

No comments:

Post a Comment