Friday, December 18, 2015

To the Right is Only Light

We did a test where we put a patch over my daughter’s right eye to see if she was able to still function somewhat visually the other day.   Right after my husband put the patch on her right eye, she got on her tricycle and speedily pedaled around the house without running into anything.

Today, we decided to patch the left eye to see what she could discern with the right.   We knew the left was dominant but we hoped the right was giving her some information, possibly a lot of information.   She resisted.   She really didn’t want a patch on her left eye but she let us do so for only a minute.

She can’t see in the right eye.   Dr. Trese did a test and she can discern light, but it appears she’s lost all the vision in the right except light.    She let us do another test after dinner because she likes to do “the jelly bean game” where she tells us the color of a jelly bean and then gets to eat it.    She tried, but had no idea at all and after the second one, we moved on.    She wasn’t able to navigate at all either.

I am struggling with another bout of depression from just the thought we’ve lost everything in one eye.   The only positive is that the procedure we’re doing might return some vision to her.   But if she only has light vision, is a complicated procedure with a long recovery time that will put restrictions on her the right thing to do?

We are moving ahead, because there’s nothing to lose.   If the procedure is successful, it might be successful in bringing more vision back to her left eye as well.  

We continue to hope.  We continue to try to be positive and make sure she and her brother have a normal, happy life to every extent we can manage, even though our hearts are breaking inside.

The Big Boy Update:  I overheard my son saying to my husband today: “I like momma the best.  I only like you a tiny, tiny bit.”   (Guess which one of use just told him no?)

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter got bit in the face by our neighbor’s dog yesterday.   This sounds worse than it is, but there was a reason.   My daughter has to get very, very close to see anything and swooping in to a two inch distance from the dog’s face scared the normally very friendly dog.   She barked a warning saying back up or I don’t like that or other dog communication that said she didn’t feel comfortable being that close.   In so doing, her jaws caught my daughter on the cheek.    My daughter is fine, my neighbor is mortified.   The first thing she said was, “do I have to put Luna to sleep?!”    We said absolutely not and have all agreed it’s an important thing for my daughter to learn when approaching animals.    It could have been far worse.   My daughter even talked to me about it in the car this morning and made me proud because she understood what happened and wasn’t one bit upset about it.

Fitness Doesn’t Quite Count Update:  I lifted 1400lbs of sand today, twice.   I put it all in the minivan and trudged it over to the clubhouse and then I lifted it out and put it on the porch in anticipation of our neighborhood luminary event tomorrow.   Hopefully it counted somewhat towards a core and arms workout because I haven’t been doing squat lately.


No comments:

Post a Comment