Monday, December 7, 2015

Can We Play Someone Bring the Rock Inside?

This is a game my daughter is mad about.   She is crazy happy to play it any time.   It’s not even a game, but she and my son think it is.   Mostly she thinks it a game that never has an end.   She has never tired of playing the game that I’ve ever witnessed.   It goes like this…

Put two children in the bathtub and wash vigorously.   Present towels to wet, giggling children ready to exit the tub.    Cover children up on the bath mat after they drop into the fetal position on the floor because, “I’m cold!” is shouted two seconds after exiting the tub.    Tuck the towel all around and under them to keep the cold out and then…wait a minute…where did the children go?  “hey mom, do you see the children?  They’re gone.”  <pause>  “Wait a minute, did someone bring a rock inside the house?   What’s this big rock doing in the bathroom?”   This is followed by sitting on the child and waiting for them to giggle enough so that the towel is pulled back and we—surprised—discover it’s our missing children.

There are variations on the patter, but the game is always the same.   My daughter wants to play it “one more time” again and again because my husband is so good at coming up with so many different things to do with large, unexpected rocks in the house.

Recently my daughter was making peeping sounds, including doing so under the towel so my husband modified the game and cracked the “egg” only to discover a little baby chick or duck or dinosaur (in the case of my son) instead of our children.  

My daughter has now changed the name of the game.   At the end of bath time she now says, “can we play someone bring the egg inside?’”

The Big Boy Update:  The children were talking about growing up in the car this morning as we discussed my son’s upcoming birthday.   He said, “I’m going to be bigger just like Mario after he eats a mushroom.”   Since I grew up myself playing Super Mario Brothers, I had to tell him how much I liked his analogy.   Maybe we’ll get mushroom pizza for dinner on his birthday.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Yesterday she started talking about Uncle Jonathan.   She told my husband his nickname was “T-Stack”.   I’m not sure where she came up with this but when I messaged Uncle Jonathan about it he said, “I’m cool with that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment