Thursday, December 31, 2015

Breathe

My sister-in-law gave me a necklace for Christmas.   She had texted me earlier in the month asking me what my favorite word was and I replied, “anything but the word ‘awesome’”.   She picked ‘breathe’ because she likely guessed I needed to take a step back and just breath sometimes.

It’s hard dealing with my daughter’s eye situation.   It’s hard on her, it’s hard on her brother and it’s hard on us, as her parents, to not know if she’ll lose more vision or if through a lot of drops, hospital visits, surgeries, glasses, lenses, etc. be able to function as a seeing member of our society.    It’s a lot of unknowns.

It’s not only hard for my husband and me, it’s hard for the grandparents, aunts, uncles and everyone who counts my daughter as someone special to them.   We’re all struggling with the implications and the grief of what may be lost or the pain of having to go through so much medically to just try and be as close to normal as possible.  

It’s good to breathe and know things will turn out some way and that way will be supported by us all.

The Big Boy Update:  My son was eating some Star Wars Jelly Bellies today.   I don’t know what transpired between him and my husband but from the kitchen I heard him say, “they taste like storm troopers.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  On the sad front, my daughter wanted to take a turn on the scooter yesterday.   I told her she could have a turn when her brother was finished.   We’ve had that rule in place for as long as they remember, but this time she said mournfully, “but I won’t know where the scooter is when he’s done.”   I told her I would show her where her brother left it.

1 comment:

  1. You are a trooper! What a journey. What a painful place to be...to love someone so much and be doing everything you can, and to know that the ultimate outcome will be a struggle for her. What do parents do who have to walk along that? You and Chris have my profound respect. I don't know if you meet other parents or if there are support groups for the grief that goes with all this.

    I love her spirit (and yours too). With you two and your wonderful extended family caring for her, I know she will be fine emotionally. And, there is nothing wrong with that child's brain! We can adapt to anything and be happy with productive work and people to care for us and people to care for. Thinking of you all! Xx

    ReplyDelete