Sunday, December 6, 2015

Putting Up the Glitz

Today was holiday decorations day here at the house.   We don’t have a specific day we decorate as a family, but we don’t do it before Thanksgiving or before the start of December.   After we get into the month of Christmas we get it done whenever it seems to be a good time to do so.  

This morning I decided it was about time to get to it.   My son has a birthday party here at the house next Saturday so ideally we’d have some things out before then and doing the decorations on a weekend could involve the children in the process.  My daughter was interested in helping and my son was interested in playing outside with his friends.   No surprise there.

I brought down all the bins from last year and had no idea where things were because I’d completely rearranged into new, larger bins at the end of last year when we took everything down.    It turned out to be easier with fewer, larger bins.    My husband is still recovering from hernia surgery but we talked him into a tree shopping adventure with me promising to do all the lifting.    

Into the car with my children not listening when we told them how cold it was outside and one very unhappy, tutu-wearing child suffered through the majority of the outdoors part of the tree purchasing. My husband got us a wreath, a tree and he got a little tiny tree to put in their room.   They were very happy about this mini-tree for their room.

The rest of the day was mostly playing outside with children and neighbors while my husband and I did some work getting things up in and out of the house.   He had to move slowly and couldn’t pick things up, but he got a few things completed like the little candle lights and the plug-in trees by the front door.  I got everything done but the main tree in the basement which we had planned to do another day.

Did I mention before how much I dislike glitter?   I found several “glittery” things in my Christmas decorations that I purchased at some point.   They were of the sturdy glitter type in which the glitter is well-affixed, but that doesn’t prevent a glitter episode when the item is handled by an exuberant small child.  

Holiday glitz is up, glitter and all.

The Big Boy Update:  “Mom, there’s someone we don’t know at the front door.”   I was so proud of my son today.   We have told them to not open the door if it’s someone they don’t know and to come get one of us.   When I walked out to the foyer I saw it was our mailman, Pat.   I introduced my son to Pat and they shook hands.   I told him Pat was our friend and he could open the door for Pat any time.   We are very fond of our mailman, Pat.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Diaper free.   My daughter has been asking to go to bed in underpants for a while now but we haven’t been wanting to take the step with her eye situation.   Tonight when she asked again I decided why not.    She does come downstairs some mornings with a completely dry diaper, which she likes to show me.    We have an alarm set for 11PM to go up, wake her up and have her go to the bathroom.   That worked well for my son when he was learning to hold it all night.   I’ll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment