Thursday, December 10, 2015

About Those Folds

Yesterday my daughter’s main eye doctor came to meet us prior to taking her back to the operating room.   He asked suddenly, “you don’t happen to have a USB drive on you, do you?”   My husband pulled out his key chain and handed him one of the two USB drives he keeps there.  One of the two drives I had asked him not a month ago, “why do you keep those on your keychain?  Have you ever used them?”  He said he hadn’t used them but he might need them someday.   I was so glad for his foresight.

The doctor said he was going to download all the images they’d taken on my daughter for us to take to Detroit with us.   They had already sent all her medical records and would follow-up with the operative report when they finished for the day.  

We’ve seen the retinal detachment pictures before, but it never gets less scary.   Here is one from yesterday.   Remember how I had mentioned her retina was like a crumpled sheet or had folds in it like a Shar Pei dog?   Here’s what I mean…


This is zoomed in and there is nice blood flow to the retina itself, so even though it looks pale and grey it’s still doing okay.    It’s no wonder she can’t make anything out trying to discern images being sent to that surface.

The Big Boy Update:  Tae Kwon Do high fives.   My son told me he wanted to high five today like they do in his Tae Kwon Do class.   He explained that you had to try and hit the other person’s hand while they moved their palm away just in time.   We did a lot of intentional missed high fives for the rest of the day.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Tape Monster.   My daughter has this thing about tape.   She likes making drawings or sculptures or, well “things” with small pieces of paper, markers and a LOT of tape.  She has made seesaws with tape and rolled up pieces of paper attached to a base sheet.   It’s pretty impressive from a tape consumption standpoint.   Today she helped wrap a present for her friend, Rayan’s birthday.   Just when I thought she’d finished and was walking out of the room to take the present to him she stopped, turned around and said, “I think it needs one more piece of tape.”

No comments:

Post a Comment