Thursday, December 3, 2015

Getting On My Nerves

I have been trying to test and see if I need to take the Lyrica.   I really dislike having to take any medication.   That doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate medication.   If I need an antibiotic I am excessively happy there is one that will help my body fight an infection.   If I’ve had surgery I’m exceptionally grateful there are pain medications that help me cope with the pain while my body mends.   NSAIDs are great when you have inflammation and don’t even get me started about the wonders of antihistamines when I have an allergic response to something.

What I don’t like is having to be dependent on a medication to function on a daily basis.   Last November I started taking Lyrica in the hopes I was dealing with a “nerve storm” or other nerve situation relating to the spinal cord damage I’ve had.   I was worried this was the beginning of the end; the start of taking medication I’d never be able to stop for the rest of my life.   I didn’t and don’t like the thought.

So I do a test from time to time to see how much I really need the Lyrica.  Can I manage without it?  How much does it really help?   Since returning from Las Vegas and running the marathon there I started titrating off the Lyrica.   It has been three days now since I’ve had any, and some time longer since I had my normal daily dose.  

What have I discovered?   The first thing is the withdrawal symptoms reported on the internet from other people didn’t happen.   I wasn’t having side effects while taking it though, either, so I’m not too surprised there.   The second thing is things are more “uncomfortable” right now than they normally would be, which is interesting.   A normally soft sweater feels just a bit itchy and the tag is almost scratchy.   Things just get on my physical “nerves” more easily.  It’s minor, but it’s interesting to notice.    The last thing I discovered is, I don’t have to have the Lyrica.

That doesn’t mean it’s not helpful.   I’m not in a pain situation that prevents me from sleeping or keeps me from doing my daily activities.   But the Lyrica does make life more normal.   I’m struggling with wanting to be in less pain and not wanting to take medication.    So I’ll start taking the Lyrica again, knowing I could stop if I needed to or if I had to in the case of a zombie apocalypse and supplies run out—but I don’t have to.  

It makes me happier knowing I’m not dependent in Lyrica to function, even it makes functioning easier.

The Big Boy Update:  My son asked my husband the other day, “why is ‘y’ a word and letter?”  He was asking about ‘why’ and ‘y’.   That one was tricky to explain.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   My daughter is still loving Tae Kwon Do classes.   We’ve decided to enroll both her and her brother for six months.  We weren’t certain with her because she can’t see the instructors or even her peers when they’re not right near her, but she’s been having a good time.   When needed, I go into the room and stand beside her, doing the moves so she can see and copy me close up.

No comments:

Post a Comment