Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Eyelashes

From the title of this post I bet you’re thinking it’s about my daughter because it’s related to eyes.   It is not.   It’s about me.   It’s about a fun Christmas present my best running buddy and friend gave me.   Several weeks ago she had me block off time on my calendar for this afternoon.   She said it was for a surprise.  

Today she told me I had an appointment with her to get eyelashes put on.    I knew nothing about this artificial eyelash thing until a few months ago.   I was having dinner with some of my girlfriends and they talked about how they needed to get their eyelashes redone.   I was curious.  I was interested.   I asked lots of questions.  

It turned out to be some serious eyelash action.   It’s not a sheet of eyelashes you lay across your top lid and then peel off later.   This is individual eyelash pieces, each glued on to an existing eyelashe to make what you have bigger, longer and more dramatic.   It’s eyelash augmentation.  

When we arrived at the appointment I took off my shoes and lay down on a table similar to those used for massages.   The technician taped down my lower lashes so they would stay out of the way.   Then, she very carefully and delicately dipped individual lashes in an adhesive and connected them to my natural lashes.   She put about fifty lashes on each eye and I tried to lie still and not move (a difficult task if you know me.)

I told her if I was doing this I wanted big.   I wanted bold.   I wanted eyelashes that could start a small tornado if I batted them fast enough.    She told me she would see what she could do.    She used the “C” shaped lashes for a big, curved look and selected ten, eleven and twelve millimeter lengths to achieve a natural look across my eye.  

When she was done and I sat up I was really, I mean really, impressed.   I mean my eyes looked so, well, wow.   They were all laughing at me because I was having such a good time giggling and looking at the mirror and saying I couldn’t believe what a difference the lashes made.    I feel much more dramatic now.   Hell, I feel like I’ve even put on make up (which I never wear.)

I can’t even tell the lashes are there, which is very interesting, because they look so big I would expect to feel something.     They’ll naturally fall off over the next three weeks.   For the next three weeks I’m going to feel rather like a movie star with my big, bold eyes.  What a great Christmas present.

The Big Boy Update:  Two comments direct from my son over the past week.  Both are very true.   “I’m a messy eater.” and “I’m the sloppiest eater you’ve ever seen.   I’m a caveman.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:   My daughter and son were playing a game where you make hamburgers with different ingredients in them.   They love this game and over time had moved the hamburger pieces all over the house.   With the help of my mother and our recent organization efforts we were able to find all the pieces.    As they were playing a modified, kid-improvised version of the game my daughter said out loud, “if you’re all done eating your hamburger, you may go away from this restaurant.”

No comments:

Post a Comment