Sunday, December 13, 2015

Detroit

My husband, daughter and I traveled to Detroit today to see a doctor tomorrow morning about my daughter’s eyes.  We had told my daughter what a fun trip it would be, just the three of us taking time to be together.   There was this little thing we’d be doing visiting a doctor in the morning, but other than that, it was a fun trip and a special thing just for her.  

Or at least that’s how we’ve been selling it to her.   She has been excited and she was looking forward to going to Detroit.   She would ask us, “how many days until I get to go to Detroit?”   She even knew Nana and Papa were staying with her brother but she was okay missing out on being with them.

Today was the day, we got ready to go to the airport and got a call from the airline the flight had been delayed and we’d been rebooked on another flight.   No worries, we were at home and would kist leave later for the airport.   The flight was delayed a second time and my daughter asked when we were going to start our adventure together.   I said, “soon, there has been fog in the next city and the planes couldn’t land.”

We arrived at the airport to another delay, followed by a time adjustment (delay) because the last delay wasn’t estimated correctly.    When we got on the plane we were far back in line so we waited.   When we were second in line the pilot came on the speaker and told us there was a problem that just appeared and we had to taxi back to have it looked at.   He thought it would be a quick fix.

It was a quick fix, and we were finally almost about to be in flight to Detroit.  We arrived here and got to a restaurant at eight-forty-five and are now on the way to the hotel.  

So, has it been a fun trip for my daughter?   Yes, it has.   She wasn’t frustrated at the delay because it was just time with us in one place versus another.   I had lots of new, fun things to play with her and she happily asked both my husband and me to do all sorts of things with her.  

There were new apps on the iPad the were captivating and she even decided to watch a movie (something she rarely does) and wore my husband’s headphones while Finding Nemo played. The headphones were new to her and we had to both laugh and shush her as she cried out in an overly loud voice, “she was stung by the jellyfish!” and other comments.  

Everyone thought she was charming and no one knew she had a serious visual deficit.   She even laughed and got everyone to play a throw and catch game with her “Buzz Buzz” stuffed animal on the rental car shuttle.   She’s just been a delight all day.   I hope we can make tomorrow as special for her given the real reason we’ve come to Detroit.

We’re close to the hotel now so I’ll wrap this up by saying she’s fallen asleep on her new glowing pillow pet in the car seat.

The Big Boy Update:  My son got the game Connect Four for his birthday.   He took one look at it and was basically not impressed.   I just love Connect Four.   I spent so much time playing with friends throughout my childhood and I still have my partially broken set in a closet upstairs.   When Nana saw it she was excited about it too.   She said she’d teach him how to play while we’re gone.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter loves to share.   She was offering some of her food to my husband and then she offered some to me.    We thanked her and accepted the food.    She casually said, “you know how much I love to share” and smiled and kept eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment