Tuesday, July 28, 2015

When Are Hugs Over?

At what age do children stop wanting to be hugged for comfort?   I suppose we never completely get past the need to have another human being comfort us with a hug, but children seem to have a need that goes beyond comfort and into a level of dependance.  

Children need hugs regularly to make them feel safe and secure.   Hugs can keep them on a level keel.   Hugs help stop the crying and dry the tears.    Children yearn for hugs for the human contact of being with you, their parent,  relative or very special friend.

So at what point do general, everyday, anytime, “I want to give you another hug, Mommy” hugs go by the wayside?   At what point do children become confident and independent enough to not need a hug unless there’s a specific reason like a parent leaving for a trip?

I know it’s gradual, but I suppose I should start preparing myself for the day I become less-needed from a hugs-standpoint.    I don’t know when it will ultimately happen, but I’ll enjoy the hugs while I can.

The Big Boy Update:  On the way to school yesterday my son told me he was feeling car sick.   That’s okay, I told him because I was pulling into the Starbucks drive through and the motion of the car would slow down.    About two minutes later my son said in a very surprised voice from the back seat, “wait, I’m not car sick, I just had to burp!”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We haven’t done much with mazes on paper with the children so the other day at a restaurant I watched my daughter work through a maze on the kids menu.   She was able to easily look ahead, moving by short dead end sections.   For the longer sections, she was able to back track to the last junction and resume her forward progress.   It was interesting to watch her work through the maze with her finger alone.

Fitness Update:  I ran seven miles with my neighbor this morning.   After taking the children to school I biked to the shopping center near us for seven miles of biking and then I visited the fitness room to get in my twenty-three weekly minutes of upper body workout.   I’m hungry so it’s a good thing I’m going out to dinner with friends tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment