Saturday, July 18, 2015

Informational Subterfuge

I was involved in a situation today that I haven’t had to deal with before.   My children are too young to really comprehending what adults are talking about when we get to talking about adult things.   My friend’s children are older and know when we’re trying to talk about something without letting them know.

Last night was a surprise birthday party for a friend of ours.   One of the wives didn’t make it because their son was quite ill, vomiting.    This morning I found out our friends were keeping the sibling of the sick child because his parents decided they needed to take him to the hospital, suspecting it could be an appendicitis.

I brought my two children over to their house and we all went to lunch and then came back to our house afterwards for some candy making.   I knew our friend’s son was in good hands and I don’t get particularly upset over these things in general, but his sister was worried about him and we spent time during the day making sure she was comforted and informed, but not too informed.    This was tricky, because the two nine-year-old twins were trying to look at text messages or figure out what the phone calls were about.  

My friend and I would sneak around the corner and whisper when we could about how things were going (it was an appendicitis and everything is fine.)   I’m wondering at what age informational subterfuge is going to come into play at our house?

The Big Boy Tiny Girl Star Wars Update:  My husband has been wanting to introduce my children to Star Wars for some time now.   Many of their friends are big fans.    We tried some time back but didn’t get much interest.   Tonight though, they watched and were interested.   Or at least my daughter did until she was too tired.   My son made it all the way through the end, asking many questions along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment