Saturday, July 4, 2015

The Alcohol Consideration

I stopped drinking alcohol last year.   It took me a while to write about it here because I was distressed about the whole situation.   I had been drinking what I felt like was a lot.   Perhaps it was frequency more so than amount.   Or it could have been both, but either way, there seemed to always be a reason to have a drink socially.   One morning I woke up and I was still drunk from the night before.  It scared me so I stopped drinking.

I didn’t mark the date at the time but later I went back and figured out it was right before Labor Day in September of last year.   The question I have asked myself many times since then is, “how long do I need to stop drinking?”   Should it be forever?  I don’t think I was (or am) and alcoholic.   I was just drinking a lot.    Was I craving alcohol and did I have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol?    Perhaps I did.    So when do I want to have a drink?

There are many events in the summer that are fun.   Having a margarita or beer today, on the Fourth of July, would be a great way to add to the enjoyment of the day.  But I’d be fine without a drink too.   Going a full year would be nice as well.   I might wait until Labor Day, but I might not.  

I have said I will definitely have a drink to celebrate when we finish the Rock and Roll marathon in Las Vegas in November.  

The Big Boy Update:  My son said the other day in a firm and exaggerated tone: “I…Want…My…Daughter…Back!)   My husband and I were totally confused at where this came from, (he was playing with some toys and talking to them at the time.)   Then, we remembered the main scientist in Big Hero Six, one of my son’s favorite movies, and realized he was quoting a line from the movie.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter’s chin wound is looking better all the time.   We still put scar cream and sun screen on it daily in the hopes it will diminish in visibility more.   We’re going to have to do a “revision” surgery on her chin in the next year or so though, because of the original wound.

Fitness Update:  Ten miles in the neighborhood this morning to celebrate the Fourth of July and watch the sun rise.

No comments:

Post a Comment