Sunday, July 5, 2015

Swimming In The Lake

Yesterday I got some bonus exercise in after I wrote my blog post for the day.  My husband and I drove to my in-laws house where my children had been on vacation for the past three days.   One of the things we were going to do during the day’s visit was go out on their pontoon boat on the lake they live on.   There was to be a boat parade for the Fourth of July and some swimming for the rest of us.

My husband had eaten a lot earlier in the day and so decided he wanted to get in some exercise swimming.   I didn’t particularly want to get in, even thought I knew I’d have fun once I did.   After we got to the center area of the lake we dropped the anchor and the swimming began.  

My husband was swimming away and then back towards the boat.   I yelled out, “I’ll swim home from here if you will.”   He thought I was joking.   I wasn’t, although it did look a little far away.   I figured we could do it.  

We then had an anchor problem accompanied by some strong winds that blew us closer to their house.   I made the mistake of offering the challenge again, and this time, my husband accepted.

The next thing I know, we’re swimming towards their lagoon.   We’re in the center of the boat parade area, so we had to hold for two or three pontoon boats to glide past (everyone on both sides made sure to keep good distance.)    Then we swam on.  

We swam on for some time.   I was expecting to get into an easier cardio swim shortly, but the wind and the waves was frustrating and I wasn’t swimming as well as I should have been.   That, coupled with the frequent stops for re-orientation and location of my husband and it took us longer to get in than I thought it would have.

No one timed the whole thing.   I estimated fifteen minutes of swimming, but my mother-in-law said it was more like twenty minutes.   We got home at the same time they did and I can tell you this: the best thing about the whole swim was being able to exit the water via the ladder on the side of their boat instead of walking through the deep muck in their lagoon.

It was fun.   It was more tiring than I had expected.   But it was definitely fun.

The Big Boy Update:  We were out on my in-law’s boat yesterday afternoon.   Most of the family was in the water but my son and I were up on deck.   It became apparent when the wind picked up the anchor wasn’t holding.   My son suddenly laughed out loud and said, “hahaha, just like old times!”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  You’ll know my daughter is about to tell you she’s hungry when she lifts her shirt, sticks her tummy out and starts to rub it.   This behavior will be accompanied by comments such as: “my tummy is telling my it’s hungry,” or “my tummy says it wants some more carrots.”  My daughter’s tummy is a powerful force in her life right now.

Fitness Update:   I ran a fast four miles this afternoon in-between visits with friends and outings with the children.

No comments:

Post a Comment