Thursday, July 2, 2015

Waisins

Children go through phases of eating foods.   Or, at least mine do.   Maybe that’s from me because I love to eat something for a while and then I’m done with it until some point in the future when I suddenly think, “I seriously need some tater tots right now.”   Usually this is followed by me going to the store or restaurant and eating a lot of said item.    But this isn’t about me.

I am on a perpetual mission to give my children the opportunity to try different things.   Since they’re young, this translates to, “you have to have two bites of X before you can have more of the other thing you like on your plate you ate first.”   I want them as adults to be able to go to any restaurant and enjoy eating any cuisine.  

But since they’re three and four, this is an early work in progress.   One thing they ate a lot of in the past and seemed to love was raisins.   They loved those little boxes of raisins.   They liked craisins as well.   They even ate the dried cherries, which I thought were really good.   Then, for no apparent reason, they just didn’t want to eat them any more.    We tried but they just had no interest.

I’ve had an airtight container of craisins and white raisins for months now.  I would send a small container to school as part of their lunch and it would come home untouched.   Then, two days ago, suddenly they both wanted to eat them.   My son was grabbing fistfuls and my daughter was deciding which she liked more.    I asked them if they wanted a second serving of, “Mimi’s favorite white raisins” and they agreed they did.

Then, my son told me they were “waisins” and not raisins.   He was combining ‘white’ and ‘raisin’ to describe the white raisins.   I told him I liked the name and we’d call them that from now on.   He smiled and then ate some more.

The Big Boy Update:  My son came down in the middle of the night again the other night, saying his hand itched.   I’m not sure that was the real reason, but he did want to get in bed for a few minutes with us.   I told him it was time to go back upstairs a few minutes later.  He got out of bed and walked up the stairs just ahead of me.   I told him he was my favorite Greyson in the whole world.    He then said something nice and touching—which he rarely does.   He said. “I have the nicest mommy and the nicest daddy.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter has lovely blonde hair.  But it’s a mess.   It’s fine and frail and it is wavy but goes into fly away mode at the slightest provocation.   I’ve had it cut once (twice really, but the second time was right after to adjust something) in her over three-and-a-half years.  It’s a little below her shoulders.    Part of the reason it’s that short is it grows very slowly.   The other part is it breaks off from being so delicate.   It gets in her face and so I put it up in various types of things. It looks like she has bangs now, even though we’ve never cut them and always try very carefully to remove the hair tie/band/elastic/etc.   It is pretty hair…every third day.    It’s cute hair though on her every single day.

Fitness Update:  I did an unexpected lazy biathlon today.   I ran eight miles with my neighbor this morning.  Then I took a shower, got some errands run and came home after lunch.   I asked my husband if he wanted to go for a bike ride and he said sure.   We went eighteen miles on the bikes in very nice afternoon weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment