Saturday, July 18, 2015

Hey Siri…

I have had my iPhone replaced twice in the past two months.    It was due to hardware issues both times and each time I had a good experience with the whole process at the Apple store.    I didn’t particularly want my phone replaced, but it was necessary both times to get things working.

Yesterday I had a problem with my phone that was strange: I could talk to Siri some ways, but not others.   My husband and I diagnosed it by trying things and looking at other, similar issues on the internet.

If I used Siri via my watch, it was fine.   If I talked to Siri while I was in the car, connected via bluetooth, I was fine.   But if I talked to Siri directly, it didn’t work.   My husband turned on video recording and took a video of him talking.    Then he turned the phone to the outwards camera and recorded another video while he talked.

The video where he was in “selfie mode” didn’t work at all.  Nothing but static, which doesn’t help Siri at all.   But the back-facing video was fine.   It understood what we were saying.

The speaker on the front of the phone, which is the one used when you talk to Siri, wasn’t working.   I was mad.   I did not want to return the phone and have to get an entirely new one.   I didn’t want to restore from backup again and also, I like this phone.

My husband said he wanted to try something.   First, he go the vacuum cleaner out and tried to suck any dirt out.   Then, he blew on it with compressed air.    And that did the trick.    He fixed it.  

I was so relieved because I didn’t want to do another phone reset.

The Big Boy Update:  I asked my children if they wanted to eat their popsicles out on the deck because it was a nice sunny day.   My son said, “I want to eat inside so I don’t sweat.”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  The children had written in chalk inside the front door awning area.  I brought out a cloth, spray bottle and bucket of water to help clean it.   Close to a half hour later, my daughter was finishing the closet/.

Fitness Update:  Forty miles on the bike today.   I’m really starting to like biking.

No comments:

Post a Comment