Monday, July 6, 2015

"The Latest”

I tend to name things.   The things I name may have a name already, but there’s a name I think is more descriptive to the function, purpose, area or otherwise that causes me to coin a name or phrase that I believe to be altogether more informative of the thing’s true function.

In the park in which we do much of our running and biking, there is something I named, “The Hateful Route” mostly because going the other route is a far friendlier option (unless you want rapid hills and switch back turns early on in your workout.  We get water at these spigot things that also have outdoor water fountains.   There is a bucket and a hose for dogs and horses to get water and I decided naming it, “The Watering Hole” made more sense to me (even though there was no hole.)

In our house we have, “The Hub” which is positionally at the center of the house and tends to be a dropping of and picking up spot.   There is, “The Share Spot” which is where we put things needing to be given to or returned to other people.  

I’ve been on another rearrangement of the children’s toys recently.   While I’ve done this, I did what I always do first, which is clear out the under cabinet shelves of theirs that seem to collect toys and junk faster than anywhere else in the house.  Its sort of their and our dumping ground as we clean up the area.   (It is also no coincidence that this central dumping ground is also close in proximity to The Hub.)  I’ve told my husband before that I empty it completely, because it’s just going to fill up again in a few weeks.

What seems to be in that area are all the latest toys or presents or trinkets or coloring books or stickers or you name it they’ve gotten recently or have had a renewed interest in.    It’s basically the latest stuff my children have been playing with.   Shove it all back in at the end of the day and tomorrow more will come back out.    (I’ve been working on having them shut the cabinet doors behind them, lest they remain open all day.)

So, “The Latest” is what that spot is now named in my mind.   Mostly because that’s what it’s holding of my children’s.

The Big Boy, Tiny Girl Garbage Truck Watching Update:  My children heard the garbage truck last week and were very excited.   They both ran outside to watch it lift up the garbage containers with the fork lift and dump it into the back of the truck.   They carefully stayed out of the road while they watched the truck dump all of the containers on our street.   As the driver passed back by them he honked his horn and waved back at them.    

Fitness Update:  My husband and I biked twenty-four miles today on mostly road and greenway trails.   We had a very nice ride in the summer morning while the children were at camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment