Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Six Teslas

When we got our first Tesla car in 2014 we would look for other Teslas on the road.   There weren’t a lot back then.  The Roadster only had about 2500 produced and the Model S wasn’t that far into production with our car having a VIN in the 45,000 range.  There was no Model X announced even and the Model 3 was only a rumor.  

We saw about one a week, which met with much fanfare from our family members in the car.   We’d wave and talk about which model it was and what options it looked like it had.   Tesla doesn’t have “Model Years” like other cars do.  They change offerings and features as it suits them.   At the time, you could tell more about the car from the numbers on the back than you could anything else.   Later on things got more diverse still but by then we were seeing enough of the cars that we’d grown inured to it and usually said, “there’s a Model <insert details here>”.

Not that long ago, this school year even, my son wanted to start counting Teslas we saw as he and I were driving to and from school.   Fairly quickly we got to over a hundred.   We stopped counting not that long after when the number of Model 3’s increased from a rare occurrence to multiple per day.

These days I notice every Tesla I see and make a mental note of what type of car it is.   There are a lot of Model 3’s, but I’m seeing almost as many Model X’s as well.   This morning I took my son to school, went through the Starbucks drive through, stopped off at the pharmacy and came home.   The total distance was around ten miles.   In that time I saw six Tesla vehicles.  

There is still a lot of excitement about them though.   When I parked at the pharmacy, a man came up to me and had all kinds of questions about the car.   I talked to him for about twenty minutes.   He, like many other people, would like to buy one in the future.   I told him the same thing I always tell everyone, “it’s the best car in the world.”

The Big Boy Update:  My son still has this, “modesty” thing going when he takes off his clothes.   He is, “modest” from the point he starts to get undressed until he gets in the tub—and then he forgets and doesn’t care any more.   The other day I told him I wasn’t looking, but I had to be over in that area folding laundry.   He said, “but you can putray me any time!”  I told him I thought he meant, “betray” and I would do my best not to.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter is bored in the cab lately because the drive is longer due to other students being picked up.   For some reason the students in the cab now aren’t interesting or want to play games with her.   We came up with some things for her to do in the cab that are okay by her driver.   Drawing with markers isn’t and eating food isn’t allowed.   She said stickers would be fine though—and my daughter loves stickers.   She doesn’t know what the sticker is of, typically, although I’ve gotten a much better supply of tactile stickers lately.   Tomorrow she has a folder full of things to work on.   Last time I sent stickers with her in the cab, she came home with them all on her chest, inside her shirt after she ran out of paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment