Saturday, May 25, 2019

Car Underwear

Don’t you hate it when you jot a note down so you won’t forget something and then, later, when you see the note you have absolutely no idea what it means?   I write down all sorts of things in my blog post topics list for when I sit down to write these entries every night.  Only sometimes I can’t figure out what I meant.   I feel certain I’ll remember the thing, what with it being so funny or pivotal at that point in my day, only to find myself completely clueless that night as to what it could possibly mean.

So since I have no recollection about the car underwear story, I’ll write about some cute things my daughter has done or said lately since her blog topics list has been overflowing lately.

My daughter spent some time recently at Mimi’s house.   My mother told me after she had dropped my daughter off, “after Reese’s visit today making little notebooks, I have decided to invest in a company that makes staples.   My daughter can empty a full stapler in a single day when she gets inspired.   I finally gave her the full box of refills and showed her how to refill the stapler.

I mentioned that my back was hurting me the other day and my very sweet daughter came over and started massaging my back, including a sort of thumping rhythm she was doing with her fists.   When I asked her where she learned to give massages she said, “I learned from the machine at the salon.”   She loves going with Aunt Margaret or my mother to get a pedicure.   The chairs you sit in will massage your back, including that thumping motion she picked up on.

Easter egg hunts are still happening regularly here (with another one happening just a few hours ago).  My daughter on hearing I wasn’t going to give her any more candy-filled eggs during the week came up with an alternative a week or so back.   She took her Go Fish card deck and hid the cards in various places in the front yard.   She was able to get the cards to stick in places like the bushes and up in the tree branches.   I warned her that she could lose the cards (she was quite clever in the hiding places) and/or they would get wet and ruined.   No no, she wouldn’t let that happen.   Guess what?  It happened.   I found this out when she told her friend they could’t play Go Fish because cards were missing.   So I ordered another card deck and admonished her to find other things to hide instead of cards in the future.   She did feel bad about it.   I didn’t mind so very much because it was a creative idea.

My daughter overheard the adults talking about skin tone.  We explained how some people had lighter skin tones and some had darker or redder or more yellow skin tones.  She asked if her tone was higher?  We didn’t understand what she meant until we realized she was thinking about sound and music.   Then we laughed good naturally at her and told her her tone, in that case, was louder.

I was going through my daughter’s braille homework, reading a page of sentences she had come up with, writing one sentence for each vocabulary word.   For the word ’smart’ she wrote, “I am sooper smart.”

For some reason an old song from my childhood popped into my mind the other day.   I asked Alexa to play Hello Again by Neil Diamond.   My daughter was eating her dessert at the time and was quietly listening to the song.   After a bit she said.  “I’m crying and I don’t know why…I think it’s this song.”  She asked me if I had ever cried from listening to a song.   I told her I had many times, that songs can bring about all kinds of emotions in us.  She was quiet again and then said, “I can’t stop.”   I gave her a hug and told her I could understand, it was the kind of song that could do that.

Oh, I just remembered what the title of this blog post is about.  Sometimes, because I know I’ll be referring to the blog topic list later in the day, I’ll add something to it that needs to be taken care of fairly quickly.   The “Car Underwear” entry was one of those types.   We had an issue with underwear a week ago and needed a backup pair of underpants for my son.   Not to worry, I always keep a spare in the car.   That is, unless we use the pair and I don’t remember to replace them.  When this happened the other week I went out to the car to get the spare pair only to find none of his underwear in the “go bag” I keep in the trunk.   That is, unless my son wanted to wear his sisters underwear that were far too small for him.  He didn’t, so he went commando instead.   Over a week later and I still haven’t put extra underwear in the car but now that I remember I need to, I’m going to replenish our traveling stock of undergarments right after I press the publish button here.

Last night my husband called out to the children, telling them there was a slug on the front porch.   While my son can look at the slug and see it moving, the only way my daughter can experience it is by touching it.   I came to the door a few minutes later and asked my husband if he’d offered to let her touch the slug.  Apparently she already had because she immediately cried out, “he’s gooey, he’s gooey, I don’t like him!"

The Big Boy Update:   My son disappeared for quite some time today.   Typically we have other children here for hours, but in this case he went to one of their houses.   He was gone until well after lunch.   When he returned I asked him if he was hungry.   No, he said, he had had quesadillas at Rayan and Keiras.   It is so nice having neighbors like the ones we have around us.   We’ve fed other children countless times and never mind if one of our children eats at a friends.  

The Tiny Girl Monopoly Chronicles:  My daughter and I started a game of Monopoly today.  It would be nigh impossible to play the game in the traditional manner—there is just too much you need to be able to see,   I ordered a fully brailled version which came in yesterday.  The breakfast room table is now covered with all the parts and cards and she and I have started a game, playing for two hours already.   I had forgotten just how much there is to know to play.   Consider also that we, as sighted people, can see the groupings of properties, the locations of the four railroads, and can generally scan read what’s happening on the board.   She is discovering things one dice roll at a time.  But her memory is exceptional and she is having a lot of fun learning how to play.   I’m being called back to continue the game even as I write this.  Knowing how a typical game can drag on, I expect we’ll be engaged in the game the entire long weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment