Friday, May 3, 2019

Home Alone

I’m at home…all alone.   I’m not home alone that often.   Okay, wait, that’s not true.  I’m home alone a decent bit while the children are at school and my husband is out working, but this feels different.   My husband and daughter are away on a Y Guides spring outing at the beach.   They left this morning and won’t be back until Sunday.  

My son is with Nana and Papa for an overnight visit at their house.   Let me sidetrack for a few paragraphs and talk about a wonderful thing: grandparents.   We are fortunate to have four living grandparents to our children.  Not only are they alive, they’re all four local, at least for part of the year.

My parents are in town here for the four months of winter while my in-laws stay warm in Florida.   When my parents return to the mountains in May, my in-laws come back to the state.   And until this spring, that mean they were a little less than an hour-and-a-half drive away–which is pretty close considering how some grandparents are far away from their families.  

At the end of last year, my in-laws moved closer to one town over and are now twenty minutes away by car.   And that makes me happy.   Having grandparents around is simply the best.  

So today and tonight my son is with Nana and Papa.  My children love spending time with their grandparents.   Grandparents have a way of spoiling children in a very special way.   I remember spending time with my grandparents.   All good memories.  

So today and tonight I’m home alone.   And I’m having a nice time doing nothing while at the same time catching up on things.

The Big Boy Update:  My son told me today, “When someone says no, you really shouldn’t ask them again.”  This was in response to me asking about fixing hi food.   Later on he was hungry and was cranky at me for telling him he couldn’t eat a lot because it was close to lunch time and Nana was going to take him out to lunch.   I liked his words so much I told him I was adding it to our Family Rules and to remember it for the future for when his father and I said no about something.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I woke up at three this morning to find the dog and my daughter in the bed between my husband and me.   This meant my daughter had had a nightmare.  I got up and she and I took the dog out and then went up to her bed so she could go back to sleep.   She is very sweet in the middle of the night, never minding going back up to bed, because it’s where she feels most comfortable.   I helped her find Tigger and Ellie, two stuffed animals that are currently her favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment