Friday, May 10, 2019

Egypt

I’ve loved learning about ancient Egypt ever since I was a child.   I remember there being a book about Egypt that explained the process of mummification.   I read about how the brain was removed through the nose, natron salt that was used to dehydrate and preserve the body, canonic jars that stored the organs after being removed and preserved separately.  

I was fascinated by the pictures and entranced with the hieroglyphics.  My love of all things Egypt has never gone away.  I went to Egypt when I was in college for a study abroad trip, I have pictures painted on papyrus over the bed headboard and in three other areas of the house.   There are scarabs on the book shelves and the book of the dead on the shelves with a miniature sarcophagus.

And that’s what I’m remembering right off the top of my head as I write this.   Every so often I look for television shows on Egypt.   I’ve found several new documentary series I haven’t seen before, some of which have notable people from other shows I’ve seen before.

I’ve run my iPad’s battery dead three times now, chain watching episodes about Egypt, pyramids, tombs and mummies.

The Big Boy Update:  My son had a very good time on his school three-day campout.   He told me all about it on the way home.   He said he can’t wait until next year.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter did a treasure hunt with Madison this afternoon.   I didn’t realize what she was doing at first.   She had typed up all the directions for where to look next and then hid them.   Madison found them (not that well hidden) and then brought them to my daughter to read for her since she couldn’t read braille.   My daughter loves when she can do something other people can’t.   It’s a rarity for her since we can all see things.   It’s surprising how much seeing actually factors into everything we absorb and know.

No comments:

Post a Comment