Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Well, That Was Scary

We've been checking our temperatures here regularly.   We've been doing so because the new thermometer is fun—you point it at your forehead, press the button and one second later, have a result.   We've discovered what our baseline temperatures are and none of us are anywhere close to having a temperature even over ninety-nine degrees. 

My son had his first day at school today.   It was largely a ceremony to welcome him to his new classroom and to have the students get to know their teachers in a short, one-hour session.   The procedure we will be doing every day this year will be different.   First, we check temperatures at home.  Second, we fill out an online form in an app that answers four questions about where we've been, how we've been feeling and if anyone has had a temperature.   Once submitted and all is well, you can bring your child to school. 

When. you arrive at school, you take your child to the external door to their classroom.   They meet their teacher there and have their temperature checked again, as long as you don't have a fever, you sanitize your hands with the hand sanitizer attached to the wall just outside the classroom door and the child can enter and proceed with school.

My son's classroom door is in bright sunlight and today, he and I waited there for the door to be opened at two o'clock.   His teachers opened the door, with him being only one of two rising fourth years that would be in their class today.   My son was their first student of the year.   They checked his temperature...and he was 100.5 degrees. 

His two teachers went white and looked at each other.   I sputtered that he was fine right before we left for school when we checked his temperature.   They suggested he wait in the shade for a minute or two and come back.   We had the dog in the car so we returned to the car and I tried to explain to my son the implications if he had a fever. 

Even if he tested negative for COVID-19, he wouldn't be allowed in school for fourteen days.   This was serious.   I told him he was not allowed to put his forehead against the cool air blowing out of the vents and we would try again in a few minutes because we knew he didn't have a fever.   He said he felt fine.  I knew he did. 

I told him when we left the car to put his hand over his forehead, shading it from the bright and hot sun.   He did so and upon retest, came in with a temperature of 98.8 degrees.   All was well, but it was a scary few minutes. 

I had a chance to talk to one of the administrators from a distance when I picked him up and she said they'd done reading and higher than normal temperatures were common when children were in direct sunlight.   Well, that was a relief, I wish I'd known before we scared my son, me and his teachers.   Whew.  

My son starts school in a week and will be in a very large classroom, capable of supporting twenty-five students in normal conditions.   There will be twelve students to start, with two more coming in in a few months.   There should be social distancing to spare and loads upon loads of precautions that will slow down the education process but will hopefully keep everyone safe. 

The Big Boy Tiny Girl At The Front Door Sleepover:  My daughter set up blankets and pillows at the front door, nearly blocking it from opening, yesterday afternoon.   She wanted to "camp out" and sleep there last night.  Initially, my son thought it was silly, but when it was time for lights out, he brought his sleeping bag down and joined her.   The "four-poster bed" as my daughter is calling it, is still there and may be the location for another night's "camp in."  This is what it looked like from the bridge above the foyer.


No comments:

Post a Comment