Friday, August 7, 2020

New Neighbors

 We have new neighbors.  They moved in yesterday and today we saw them for the first time out on their covered porch.   We know there is a daughter a bit younger than my daughter and a son a few years younger than that.   We saw a small, white dog out in the back yard with the father for a brief few minutes and then they went inside. 

What is the protocol to introduce yourself and welcome new neighbors to the neighborhood/street during COVID-19?  Do we walk to the edge of our property and offer a hello when we see them outside?   Do we wear masks and go over to introduce ourselves?   What's appropriate, or rather, what would be appropriate to them?

There is a wide array of personal preferences when it comes to people's preferred level of safety during COVID-19.  Some people are fine at a distance without a mask.  My children play with their two friends outside only and maintain a distance of six feet or more (although once they got closer accidentally, my daughter told me.)  When I go walking with their mother, neither she nor I wear a mask out in the sun and heat.   We keep six feet apart and have kept each other apprised of our general contact with others.   She's a pharmacist and has given me good advice on the transmission statistics of COVID-19.

Some people seem to not be too concerned about masks or any other kind of protection provided they keep relative distance while others avoid all contact unless absolutely necessary.   There are people who have to remain in contact with large numbers of people daily, such as those that work at grocery stores.   It's complicated, is the bottom line. 

In a less infection-concerned situation, we would make some cookies, go ring the doorbell, introduce ourselves, and likely be invited in.   We might sit and chat and make plans to get the children together.   We don't want to be rude and ignore what might be great friends of ours in the future, but today, we're not sure how to best say hello and welcome them to the neighborhood. 

The Big Boy Update: My son told me the other day, "I find it easier to interact with machines than humans."

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter had a consequence yesterday she didn't like.  She wasn't sent to her room and she didn't have any privileges removed.   She had to stay in the room I was working in and, since she didn't want to help me with something I was working on that she wanted, she had to just sit in the room and do nothing.   Doing nothing, being bored, was very hard for her.    Not talking was even worse.   I had to put my headphones on and listen to music while I worked so that I didn't let her engage me with her complaints and whining about it all being so unfair.   She had ample warnings.   She had multiple tries.   Next time, we'll see if she's learned her lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment