Friday, September 14, 2018

Keyboard

I got a new keyboard for my Mac.   My daughter has been using my keyboard to practice typing on her iPad.   She needs a physical keyboard with keys she can feel so she can get positioned and find the keys as they relate to each other.   The apple keyboards are very friendly, waking up and connecting when the thing they’re paired to turns on.   This is great, unless you have two things you want the keyboard paired to.   The only way I found around this was to forget the pairing on my Mac and pair it to the iPad and vice versa as needed.  

My daughter needed a standard sized keyboard, not one iPad-sized, so she could get accustomed to the relative size of the keys as they would be on a laptop—which is what she’ll be using in school for touch typing.   So I got the updated version of the Mac bluetooth keyboard and handed down my existing keyboard to my daughter.    It’s fun to watch her type, although she’s more interested in speed than accuracy, so she’s not moving forward in the typing lessons as fast as she’d like.  

The new keyboard is slightly different in size and my accuracy is rather appalling.   It’ll take me a few days to adjust.  In the meantime, it’s taking me about a third as long to write this blog post as it normally would with the backspace key getting a rather heroic workout.

The Big Boy Update:  My son asked me the other day how police got paid.   He wanted to know if they got paid more if they put someone very bad in jail versus someone who had done something just a little bad.   Also, he asked if the police got to take the money the bad person had if they got them and put them in prison.   I explained what ‘salary’ was and how the city paid them and, of course, how we were very grateful there were people who wanted the dangerous job of keeping us safe as citizens.    A few hours later as I was waiting in line to pay for dinner, there were two police officers in front of me in line.   I told them what my son had suggested.   The one officer said he thought it was a great idea and hoped my son would take it to the city to get it implemented.  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter and I worked for several hours today on her thank you notes to family and friends who contributed to the Boosterthon fun run fundraiser for her school this year.   She wrote the notes in braille and drew a picture on each.   I interlined the braille with the corresponding text and added things to indicate what she had drawn.   We stamped, labeled and addressed the envelopes and then my daughter put a seal with sealing wax on each (the part that was most fun, she told me).   Afterwards as she was eating her dessert she said to me, “when I grow older, if I can see with both eyes, can I still read braille?”  I told her most definitely, that I could see with both eyes but I was also able to read braille.  And then a strange thing happened.   I had hope for her vision to return.   I haven’t had that feeling in a long time.   I don’t know what it was, maybe just the thought that she still believed her vision could return made the difference.   She never talks about her vision loss.   I didn’t know she still had hope either.

No comments:

Post a Comment