Sunday, September 30, 2018

Help!

Today something happened that made me very proud of my daughter.   My husband, daughter, son and I had just returned from tumbling to find our neighbors outside with their bounce house inflated.   I went inside to put things away while my son and husband stayed outside, my husband saying he was heading over to talk to our neighbor about something.

My daughter was somewhere in the house when I went to the closet and got up on the bench in front of the mirror to get something.   The bench is narrow and I suppose I’m clumsy and I faltered and ended up falling backwards into the bathroom and onto the tile floor.   I had grabbed at the side of the shelving to stop myself and had gotten a friction cut on my thumb.  I was okay, but at the time it frightened me so I called out, “help!  Can someone come help?”

My daughter came running into the bathroom.   I told her to call dad on Alexa.   I was assessing the damage while she tried not once, but three times to call her father.   Alexa tends to be picky about “cell” number versus “mobile” number versus ‘iPhone” number and neither she nor I could remember which category dad’s phone number had been listed under.

She got through to him and said, “dad, you need to come, mom’s hurt.”   I heard my husband say, “I’ve got to go” to the neighbor and the next thing I knew, he was in the house.   My daughter wanted to know if I needed and ice pack and my son came in to give me a hug.

Both my husband and I told my daughter how proud we were that she had rushed to the rescue.   She said, “well, I only know how to call with Alexa.”   We told her that was the only thing that counted.

The Big Boy Update:  My son is doing very well with all things tumbling.   Today he did a roundoff backflip flawlessly.   Typically you do a roundoff back handspring and then a back tuck, but he didn’t need the extra momentum from the backhand spring so his instructor said to go straight ahead with the tuck.   He sent a slow motion video of it to me after class.  It looks pretty cool.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We were talking about our favorite places to eat the other day.   My daughter thought about it and said, “my favorite place to eat is the fair.”  She’s in good timing as the state fair arrives in two weeks.   Our whole family loves the fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment