Sunday, March 4, 2018

The Salt Nipple

We had dinner guests tonight: Uncle Jonathan and Margaret.   My husband made extra pasta because Uncle Jonathan had run sixteen miles and if there’s one thing we all know about Uncle Jonathan—he can eat.

As we sat down at the table my children had decided where each of us would sit relative to being “beside” them.   This can sometimes be an argument, but they seemed to agree tonight.   Once everyone was seated we asked them to tell our guests where we each were sitting.  

A while back we explained that there was a “head” of the table.   They took this concept and ran with it as children sometimes do.   At our six person table we have a “head”, two “arms” two “arm pits” and one “legs and foot” of the table.

I had gotten new salt and pepper shakers and brought them to the table earlier.   They are easily operated by children and my children were having fun putting salt and pepper on their salads.   My son got a look in his eye and then placed them very precisely between his sister and me.   She and I were in the “Arms” of the table position.   My son said, “those are the nipples of the table”.

The adults couldn’t help but chuckle.   A short while later after we’d gotten our next bowls of pasta, my son said, “could you hand the salt nipple over?”   I’m afraid these new shakers are going to be forever nicknamed the Salt and Pepper Nipples.  

The Big Boy Update:  I don’t know what my son had in plan, but I heard him come up to the chair my daughter was sitting in this morning saying in a loud voice, “test subject, Reese: ready”.   My daughter said back in an equally loud but indignant tone, “I’m not doing it!”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  I was in the bedroom last night waiting for my children to fall asleep.   My daughter said something that reminded me of my childhood, “mom, I can’t feel my heartbeat”.   I remember being afraid I didn’t have a heartbeat because I couldn’t find it and worrying.   I told her I was most certain her heart was beating.   We found her heart beat together and then she fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment