Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Fortune Cookies

I like them—fortune cookies.   I like the flavor.   I like how they’re crunchy, but I don’t like how they crumble before you can get them out of the packaging sometimes.   But I’m not so into the fortunes.

For years I’ve eaten the cookie and not looked at the fortune until I’d finished eating the cookie.   Now, I don’t even look at the fortune anymore.   It’s sort of like horoscopes, good fun, always something nice to say or some gentle guidance, but it’s not going to change the course of my life or tell me what to think.  

I don’t expect it to cause me to prepare for a future predicted on a random slip of paper, printed repeatedly en-masse, as a matter of course.   Also, I’m a cynic.   So I just stopped reading them.  

But they are fun and in a group setting it’s fun to go around, reading off each other’s fortunes to see what’s been said.   My son is getting old enough to read them now.   We were at dinner tonight and he helped to read them to our family.    The fortunes were nice, as always, but the cookie was better.

The Big Boy Update:  In the car today my son told me he had had a dream.   He said it started out as a happy day, but then it turned into a walking dead zombie dream.   His sister was involved he said too.    He told me, “I couldn’t tell you before, but I can now.   Zombies aren’t scary to me anymore.”  I told him I thought this was great (he was afraid of the picture on the side of our The Walking Dead pinball machine in the basement at one point.   Then he asked, “so can I watch The Walking Dead now?”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter finished her “blanket” for Helen today.   It was a project she’d been working on with the little loom I got her as a project she could hopefully do independently.   She took Helen the bunny to dinner with her blanket and at bedtime ran downstairs saying she’d forgotten Helen and had to have her.

No comments:

Post a Comment