Friday, March 2, 2018

Four Down, One Out

Today was our last day in Park City, Utah.  Or rather our last full day.   Technically we’re here tomorrow, but it’s mostly getting up very early to get to the airport to fly home so I’m not counting it. We’ve had a great trip together as families, but it hasn’t been the best health-wise.  

There is something going around.   It’s not that bad, but it does involve a mild fever and a general sense of malaise.   Today we had three children down, staying back at the condo, completely not interested in skiing.   My son was one of the three.   The other two were eleven-year-olds.    It’s a big difference in what an eleven-year-old child can do to take care of themselves (such as make their own meals) and a seven-year-old (my son).  

I stayed back with the sick children because we were also out one adult—my best friend, who flew home a day early to get some things done on her birthday tomorrow.    But four down and one out still left five that went skiing.    My daughter even joined in a regular ski group with Genevieve (who is two days younger).   This was nice, because she didn’t need to have her own private instructor and was able to join in a regular class.

After skiing we all went out for dinner and shopping downtown.   We’re back at the condo now, packing for the morning.   I’m wondering how I got it all in my suitcase for the trip out.

The Big Boy Tiny Girl Fairness Conversation:   My son came into the living area of our condo yesterday and asked his sister something I’ve never heard him ask before.   He rarely mentions her vision impairment so this was a bit of a surprise.   He asked, “do you think having bad eyesight isn’t fair?”   Everyone sort of held their breath waiting for what my daughter would respond but without any discernible delay my daughter replied, “well no, because I know which side is right and which side is left.”

No comments:

Post a Comment