Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Something is There

My daughter we think went through a period where she was almost completely blind due to the hematoma in her left and only functional eye.  It’s been a rocky month or so trying to keep her safe, occupied, not bored and entertained.   It’s been more work than we’ve had to do with her before because she needs more help.   We’ve also been trying to take care of her mental state as she coped with the new changes (or loss) of vision.

But I think she’s getting some vision back.   I don’t think it’s a lot, but if she can just see enough to not run into things I would feel so much better.   But we have something going on, which is better than nothing.

I have a baby app on the iPad that has big circles that bounce around the screen.   A baby tries to coordinate their motor skills enough to tap the circle, which then splits into two circles.    For my daughter, it’s a matter of seeing the circles in the first place.    I pulled it up yesterday and she not only saw the circle, she was tracking it with her left eye.   She was off consistently, tapping a bit lower than the circle, but she adjusted when she realized it.  

She seems to see other things too, but it’s inconsistent, unpredictable and minimal.   But some is better than none and we’re hoping for more.   We’re always hoping for more vision to be returned.

The Big Boy Update:  My son wanted to pop an old balloon just before bed.   He wanted to pop it with his four foot staff he made with his father.   I told him he could take it out on the deck to pop it.   About three minutes later after hearing lots of whacking sounds my son opened the door and exclaimed, “this balloon is invincible!”  He showed us how every time he hit it bounced away.  After a few more minutes of trying the ball bounced off the deck and he gave up.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter’s hearing translates into more accurate information for her than it would some of us.   For instance, she had no idea Uncle Jonathan was coming over this morning.   She heard someone come in the house who said, “hi” to her.   She said back, “hi daddy!”  Uncle Jonathan replied, “No” and with that one extra word my daughter replied, “Uncle Jon!  Silly me.   You and daddy sound the same.”

No comments:

Post a Comment