Tuesday, June 13, 2017

More Detachment

This post isn’t about my daughter, but about her Uncle Bob.  He had a sudden loss of vision in one of his eyes and on the recommendation of his ophthalmologist flew home last night.  This morning he was evaluated with a partially detached retina with a few tears.   Recommendation: surgery this afternoon.

Uncle Bob is doing well now.  He has a gas in his eye and has to lie on his stomach forty-five minutes out of every hour for the next day in order to have the gas rise and put pressure on the section of the retina the doctors worked on reattaching.   This is the exact opposite from what my daughter had done.   They added a heavy liquid substance to her eye and she had to lie on her back to get it to try and lay down her retina.

My son and daughter were very interested and concerned to hear about Uncle Bob’s eye as we are all very eye injury-aware here in this household.  Uncle Bob messaged us a short while ago saying he way laying over the edge of the bed, looking down at his phone to message us his status.  

I asked my daughter if she wanted to tell him anything and she said this, "I love you so much.  I hope you feel better.  I hope you'll be fine. And I wish we’ll get to see you soon at your house with zipper.”  Zipper is the cat my daughter very much wants to meet.

The Big Boy Update:  We were having smoothies this afternoon when my son got up off the bench and dashed almost to the street.   We almost got concerned but realized what he was doing when he picked up a stray shopping bag, held it up and said, “litter” while heading over to the trash can.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We went to visit my daughter’s new school today.  My son went with us.   We met the other visually impaired student that will be in her class and her new VI and Orientation and Mobility teachers.   We got a tour of the school targeted at the two girls.    I think my daughter is going to like going to the new school.   She’s certainly excited about having a new friend who reads braille and uses a cane—the girls have already asked to have a play date together.


No comments:

Post a Comment