Sunday, June 25, 2017

Club Champion

My husband just won the member club championship today at the golf club we’re members of.   My husband’s played golf since he was quite small.  He’s quite good, even though he plays much less than he has in years past.   We’ve been a member of a club in our area for three years now and has been in the club championship tournament all three years.

The past two years have been interestingly almost exactly the same.   He was in the championship flight of the tournament and played well, but so did Austin, one of the other members.   He and Austin came into the eighteenth hole and finished tied for first place, went into sudden death and my husband lost several holes later—both years.

This year he’s been playing well and went into the tournament hoping to beat Austin, whom he says is was closest competition in the tournament.   Yesterday he finished the round two under par, but due to course conditions due to recent weather he was in first place.   But everyone was coming in with higher scores so his lead was significant at six strokes above the second place person.

Austin wasn’t playing well, but this was due in significant part to his clubs being lost by an airline the night before the tournament started on Saturday, causing him to play with an old set of clubs.   Today my husband told me he’d message me if he was still playing well and if so, perhaps I’d like to come out and see him finish?   I said I’d like that.   He followed it up with, “unless I’m not playing well, in which case I won’t message you.”

But he did message me after the fifteenth hole, saying he had a significant lead so I headed out and watched him finish his round.   I didn’t know what his score was but I have to tell you I was excited to hear that not only did he win, he won by eleven strokes.  

I think there’s some crystal vase or something we’re going to have to find a spot for on a shelf for the next year now…

The Big Boy Update:  My son wanted to have a party today.   I said okay and I’d be out after getting ready in a little bit.   When I came out of the bedroom I was surprised to see every mug, cup, plastic plate and bowl on the counter, many of them filled with all the snacks we have in the pantry.   He was writing names in sharpie on the cups and mugs for his friends and then had me look to see how he’d put all the ice packs in the fruit in the refrigerator in preparation of the party.    As the sitter arrived I told him to have a good party (there were already seven children at our house from our street) he asked me, “mom, can you invite all my friends from school too?”

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter is obsessed with the large purple yoga ball we have that Santa gave them (that I got from China).   She bounces on it seemingly all day long.   She can’t participate in activities as easily as her brother and friends and when there isn’t much for her to do, she masters her balancing and bouncing skills.   It’s scary to watch but she’s in a lot of control just because she’s gotten so much practice in.

No comments:

Post a Comment