Friday, June 23, 2017

Capable

My daughter is getting minimal vision back but it’s not stopping her.   Sometimes you have to give her a chance to really see what she’s capable of.   Sometimes she gets frustrated but other times she has a steadfast will to figure things out and not give up.   Today was one of those days.

I asked her if she wanted to help me fold the laundry and she said yes.  I let her dump the entire load on the living room floor and told her there were two large sheets and three pillow cases, could she find them and put them on the chair?

I walked away and when I came back she’d gotten all the sheets on the chair and had moved on to the white cloths.   She’d found all of them and had put them in a very neat stack (something she’s been working on that’s harder than it seems when you can’t see how cloths under the top one get moved around).  

She moved on to the clothes and identified shorts, shirts and pajamas mostly by feel.   Sometimes she’d call out to ask if something was hers or her brothers and then put it in the proper pile.  

Then she worked on the socks.  Most of them were different dimensions/sizes so she could match them up and then she invented a way to pair them by putting one sock inside the other, leaving a bit sticking out of the top so you could easily separate them.

Some of the clothes were inside out but she didn’t have any trouble fixing them when I told her which ones.   Then she moved on to the pajamas and folded them into pairs, matching pants with tops.

She did all of this and didn’t think much of it, she just wanted to help.   It’s very humbling, watching her work with and not ever complain about her inability to see.

The Big Boy Update:  My son is having a fantastic day.   Uncle Jonathan brought his Nintendo Switch over to play with him and they’ve been in the bonus room for hours.   It’s going to be hard to top that for the next week in fun, I’m sure.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter came up with a different way to fold socks today.   She wanted to show me and called me over.   She said, “watch and learn, mommy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment