Saturday, March 30, 2013

Totally Not Board

My life got significantly more controversial, complicated and exciting on Thursday.  If I had any concerns that I might become bored without the challenge of a full-time, high-stress, hopefully high-paying job because of my recent career choice as an at-home mother of two, I can confirm there is no chance bordom will happen here.   As of Thursday, I was sworn in as the newest member of my children's school's Board of Trustees.

I went to a quickly called meeting that was scheduled for two hours the day before Easter vacation began.  I expected to hear that our current board director was stepping down, that I was being added and we'd hear some miscelaneous business. 

Instead, I was quickly sworn in and a six-hour meeting occurred that ended only because the restaurant had been closed for some time.  I came onto the board the very day we were hearing final proposals for the relocation of our school including the purchase of land and consruction plan proposals for the new site.

To say that I am impressed with the work that has been done to get us to the point we are today to this final decision would be an understatement.  It has been a six-year project that must be, due to some timing constraints, decided now.  And here I am, a board member for less than a day and I'm involved.

The decision has not yet been made, but we are workign over the weekend, during holiday days and coordinating with board members who are travelling to make the most informed decision for what will be a pivital decision for the future of our school.

I have also been impressed that every board member has been completely inclusive of my opinion.  Many have contacted me to not only share their thoughts (in a fair and unbiased manner) but to solicit my thoughts as well.

I feel the weight of this decision.  I hope we'll make the best choice given the options.  Time will tell. 

The Big Boy Update:  After dinner tonight he walked to the potty without anyone saying anything, went, flushed it (missed a bit when he dumped it, but he got most of it), pulled his pants back up and came back out to play.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Up and Down.  She knows what up and down are.  She held a toy up and said, "up" and then she put it back down and said, "down." So she understands the words as well as can pronounce them.  Sixteen months is an exciting time.

Someone Once Said:  Correction. Not ‘steal.’ If you copy from three or more authors, it’s ‘research.’

No comments:

Post a Comment