Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Blog Alignment

Some days this blog is my nemesis.  Writing my daily blog entry is a lot like winding down for the day to go to bed.  It's the winding down, or cleaning up, or putting everything in order part that does me in.  And yes, I know when you read this you're going to think, "that lady has issues," and I can't say I'd completely disagree, but then again, don't we all have our issues?

Okay, so let's say I want to write a blog post.  That's something we can easily say, because it's something I do every day.  Let's reword it to, "It's time to go write that blog post."  I've asked my husband to take care of the children, or ideally they're asleep napping or maybe I got all my other commitments done that morning and they're not yet out of school.  Either way, the first thing I need to do is get to the computer.

I like writing blog posts at the computer.  I have a nice monitor and, and I think this is the bigger reason, I have a full-size keyboard.  I really like typing at the speed that it seems you can only achieve by having your hands on a keyboard with physical, individual keys that is sized to fit your hands instead of the commonly small device they have to be wedged into.

I have sat down.  But my desk contains many things.  It has paperwork: bills, correspondence, receipts, things to file, lists of things to do, etc.  And there is my computer, which is the main storehouse for everything I need to take care of from a business, school, family and personal perspective.  And that's where I get bogged down.

I can best write a blog post when I'm not being mentally sidetracked by stacks of paperwork and an overflowing inbox of unread and possibly urgent emails.  So every day, before I can get started, I have to take care of all things "other."  It's not that bad, I don't do everything that needs to be done, I do some, and other, longer-term things get planned for or scheduled or, in some cases, just put off.  Emails are read, deleted, filed, responded to or put on hold for when I have more time in the future.

Ideally this shouldn't take long, and it mostly doesn't.  But it does take some amount of time.  It's a good thing, because every day now I do a quick review of what needs to be done.  Historically, pre-blog, I might have ignored everything for days on end, only to find out I should have taken action on something and now it's too late.  But it still can feel like a mental weight on me that I have to get my mental desk organized before I can settle down to the business of blogging.

Is it that creative work is more difficult when I have other things, little things, lots of little things, niggling at my mind; worrying me that I haven't taken care of something or did I miss that date for the RSVP or heck, did I already tell Patrice that I wanted to buy more of those chocolate cookies from her daughter?  But if the only thing unhandled, undone, unfinished is the blog post, I can focus on it and try to be funny or interesting.

And yes, on most days I fail on the funny and interesting parts, but I haven't given up trying.  I think I was born with a rather small wit and while I've been trying to exercise it, it's been slow going.

Well would you look at that, all morning at the computer doing all those things in life that take up your time electronically and paperworkally—I made that word up, I needed something to rhyme with electronically, pretend you didn't notice—and now it's time to go get the children.   I am not surprised.  The amount of things you have to do always expands to fit into the time you have available.

The Big Boy Update:  Heel walking.  He's figured out how to walk on his heels.  It takes extra balancing, but he's got it down now.  Or, at least until he gets distracted by another toy or distraction.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Tip toe walking.  I remember that my son went through this phase.  She's figured out how to walk on her tip toes recently.  She looks like a little dancer moving around the house on the balls of her feet.

Fitness Update:  Okay, ow.  I'm glad the new trainer didn't work us for a full hour because I have bits of me that are so sore I woke up and had to find an anti-inflammatory and I was still so sore I didn't want to roll over.  Tomorrow, we're back for a second helping at 5:15AM.

Someone Once Said:   Logic is a way of saying that anything which didn’t happen yesterday won’t happen tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment