Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Thinnest Slice of Butter

When I was in college I had a friend take on the summer job of selling Cutco knives.  He said he had to give us the demonstration because these knives were so amazing.  We came over to his apartment later that week and sure enough, he hadn't lied, those knives were outrageous in what they did and how very well they did it.

That day, I said to myself that I would some day buy some of those knives.  They were expensive, I was a college student and I didn't need fancy knives for my dorm room at any rate.  I could wait for now.

Years later I had another, much younger friend who was in college and decided to sell those same knives over the summer.  He wasn't a good salesman I'm sorry to say.  Had I seen his demonstration the first time, I would be living in a house with dull knives today most assuredly.  I didn't care though because I was already planning on buying the knives, and although he knew that, he still had the most difficult time doing his demonstration due to nerves.

So I got those knives and there has never been a doubt in my mind since that day that the only knives I want to have around are Cutco.  Yes, there are other very good quality knives that most likely are similar, but not unlike supporting your favorite sports team, changing allegiances to another team (or in my case knife company) is not something I ever see happening.

I've got even more knives now because I bought more over time.  I found a nice man to marry (or maybe I should say "that was willing to marry me") who also loved and owned Cutco knives.  We have their flatware and we eat with them every day.  The regional sales lady recognizes me at the local festivals and shows because whenever I see the Cutco booth, I always stop in, say hello, ask what new products are available and then give testimonial to any potential customers there at the time.

But this doesn't have much to do with a butter slice, does it?  You know how sometimes you don't realize how much you should appreciate something until you don't have it around?  At our family ski vacation I was making one of my children's usual breakfast items, buttered English muffins.  I start by putting little slices of butter on the muffins and then toasting them.  Because butter has lots of calories, I cut very thin slices, the kind that you can almost see through--so thin that the slice curls up as you cut down the stick.

While I was there in that beautiful rental house, using their random knives of questionable quality and sharpness, I discovered you can't do that thin slicing, calorie-saving, type of cut with any old knives.  It's like the butter rebels.  The other knives skip off the edge of the stick or make the slice crumble or cut at an angle so you have a thin on the top fat on the bottom slice.  I tried, I wasted time, I grumbled under my breath.

I was very glad to get back home to my favorite knives.  I think I even talked to the knives sitting all pretty in their wood block and told them that I was so glad to be back, cutting with my favorite knives--knives I said I'd own someday when I was just starting college.

The Big Boy Update:  "All aboard the choo choo train, woo woo."  This is a line from the start of a show with a very cute lady dancing and singing in a train conductor outfit.  Out of the blue in the car yesterday he sang that introduction line. 

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Reading in the dark.  The other night my husband went up to put my son to bed to find her in her bed, in the dark, looking very intently at a book she had found.

Someone Once Said:  I was married before…and at first it was nice and then it was steady hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment