Monday, March 25, 2013

Nine Forty Two

I got up this morning at 4:45AM to go to the gym.  It's now 9:42AM.  It doesn't seem like it's been five hours since I got up and I'm not sure where the time went but here it is, almost five hours later and I feel like I'm wedging in a blog post before I have to run off to do the other twenty twelve things on my list of, "Stuff to get done before leaving for Easter vacation on Friday."

Therefore, I dub this a rambly post.  I shall ramble about this and that and most likely not make any meaningful points and I am certain there will be no revelations other than the clock is ticking and vacation is quickly approaching and I don't feel prepared.

But about that 4:45AM wake-up time...  My neighbor and I are getting up that early because we're now tag-teaming with our husbands at the gym.  That's right, our men have decided to join us, albeit at separate times, in our mission of fitness.

We have to get to the gym, work out for an hour and get back in time for the men to do the same thing.  With the double drives there and back, that's three hours of time we need before the leaving for school and work at 8:00AM.  So mornings just got earlier and definitely busier.

I've been eating more lately and not weighing myself as much.  Today was weigh-in and before I stepped on the scale I looked in the mirror and I though overall I didn't look like I'd gained too much weight.  I looked, I'm struggling for a word here, but I suppose I thought I looked reasonable and as expected and just where I should be weight-wise.  And then I stood on the scale.

That damn number that pops up can still do a psychological number on you.  I was trying to gain weight; I was eating extra food, right?  I expected the number to be higher, but the moment the little red digits pop up my mind says, "Oh no!  You gained weight!  I told you you were eating too much.  Now you're going to have to fix it."

The opposite reaction from my brain happens when I get an unexpected low weight, say after a long run where I've lost buckets in hydration through sweat.  Sometimes those weights are too low; the kind of low I don't want to be.  What happens at those times in my brain?  "Oh good, I see you've been on track lately.  I suppose you can have a bun for breakfast since you've been such a good girl."  Honestly, is it any wonder people become anorexic when our brains are out to get us?

Fortunately, I can say that that, "little brain response" doesn't win out over the, "big logical brain" and I keep everything in perspective.  Thanks big brain.

From a fitness perspective, back last year I was only exercising to facilitate weight loss, and it definitely helped at that.  Now, I'm more excited about being in better shape, seeing what I can do physically more so than I am in just burning calories.  Although, our trainer seems to think lots of push ups is just what I need.  My arms spent much of this morning silently disagreeing with him.

The Big Boy Update:  This morning there was pee in the downstairs potty.  From when?  I don't know.  Apparently my son took initiative and went on his own and we didn't notice it yesterday evening.  On the unexpected access front, he also disappeared suddenly yesterday.  Had I not heard the clumping of little feet on wooden stairs I would have lost him for a good while.  He had opened the door to our second floor storage, then he'd found the attic door, opened that, closed himself in in the dark and was heading upwards.  I walked him back down and went for a baby door knob restrictor.  Before I could get back and put it on the storage door, he was already up to the top of the attic stairs in the dark again with his sister right behind him.  He was very pleased with himself.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  Books.  She's just hitting the cusp of book interest.  Initially, toddlers like books, but when you try to read one, they close it up or flip pages and generally make it difficult for you to read.  That, or they just want to get off your lap.  She's been watching her brother have books read to him before bedtime and the last two nights she's let me read a book to her.  We tried reading a second book, but she just wanted the first book read again.  I offered some different books last night but no, she would just like that one book for now, thank you very much.

Fitness Update:  The Keratin complex I had put in my hair on Friday has almost steeped for the required three days before you can wash it.  At the gym this morning I had to leave my hair down while I did a lot of sweating.  Three-day dirty hair with smelly chemicals in it does not help make you friends at the gym.

Someone Once Said:  People who don’t respect other people’s property will do anything… and will steal anything that’s not nailed down.

No comments:

Post a Comment