Friday, March 27, 2020

The Blanket Cloak

My children love blankets.   In particular, they love to lie on the couch when they're watching (listening) to a show, plating on the iPad, reading a book, or any other thing you can think of that they might be cold while doing.

The above examples are all fine.  They want to wrap the blanket around their shoulders and do things that either don't make sense or aren't okay with us.   On the not making sense front, they are not invited to use a blanket while folding laundry–because their arms and hands aren't available to fold when they're sheltered inside the blanket.   They like to have blankets around them at the bar while they're eating.   If it's crumbly, it's all over the blanket.   If it's sticky or stains we'll have to wash the blanket.

And then they want to use the blankets as cloaks, keeping them warm while collecting all the dirt on the floor at the same time,   We've told them so many times not to do this.   I have a new blanket as of a week ago.   It is mine.  It is not allowed in their bedroom.   They cannot take it anywhere.   They can use it on the bed in our room and I gave permission for the blanket to go to the living room earlier today to help my daughter get interested in watching Coco willingly.  

So, what did I see two hours later?  My blanket on my son's shoulders, trailing the floor as he walked around the kitchen all over the areas where his father had just finished cooking dinner.   My blanket is now back on the bed and they can touch it only when they're on the bed.  

I got distracted by the assault done to my new, clean blanket.   Back to the point.  They love blankets.   We have loads of them and they do like to wear them as blanket cloaks.   The children would gladly have ten blankets in their beds with them if we didn't ask them every so often to return them from where they took them in the house.

The Big Boy Update:  When getting groceries I happen to see a Duncan Butterfly Yoyo.   We've been learning how to yoyo here but have poor quality yoyos.   I told my son we needed to get a Duncan.    I came home from the store and called out to my son, holding the package up.   From the top of the stairs he cried out, "is that a Duncan?!"  I nodded while he was running down the stairs to come and get it.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  We had a yoga class with Dhruti today.   There is a complex chain of events, causes and reasons, but my son cried out at one point that it wasn't fair because his sister couldn't see.   He was mad about it.   He and Dhruti talked about what she could do to help Reese.   (Dhruti was explaining things fine, Reese was having other issues).   My daughter sat quietly, for the first time since we started the Skype call with Dhruti, and listened.   Her brother standing up for her helped calm her anxiety down.

No comments:

Post a Comment