Tuesday, March 17, 2020

L'eggs

I was getting some staples at the drug store yesterday and at check out I saw what looked like hose-like material only in the type of pop-open container you'd find in a gumball machine that gave out toys.   I suddenly got a flashback to my childhood and remembered the large area of the grocery store aisle dedicated to hosiery.

At that time, fashion was for a lady to wear hose over her legs in business settings or for any dressy or formal occasion.   My mother wore hose to work every day, I knew, but other than that I knew little more.   Once in a while though, we would be asked for our parents either buy or send in an egg container from one of the hosiery brands for an art project.

I remembered all of this but I couldn't remember the name of the brand that sold all their hose in eggs.   The woman checking me out remembered it too when I mentioned it, only we were at a loss for the name.   I pulled up the handy reference known as the Internet I kept in my pocket on my phone and L'eggs popped up from the search.  

For some reason, she and I weren't sure if that was the name we remembered.   At that time I looked back and there was a lady older than we were, perhaps of our parent's generation and she was smiling and nodding.   I said, "L'eggs is what we're thinking of?"   She said they were the ones we were remembering.

When I was old enough to wear hose I gave it a try for a while.   I never particularly liked them as they seemed to sag at the crotch or were too baggy in the legs or, and this was my number one complaint—they ran.   I could put a run in a pair of hose before I even got the second leg in them after opening the package.  

Fortunately for me and my clumsy ways, hose seemed to phase out about that time, which suited me as I preferred pants anyways.

The Big Boy Update:  The mother of the triplets around the corner sent me a text asking if we wanted her boys to stay away due to the coronavirus.   They were wanting to play with my son.   Since this group of children has been all around each other for weeks and they're all touching the trampoline plus fifty other surfaces, if one of them has it, we all have it.   I told her to send them on over and then I told my son his new friends wanted to know if he was available to play.   My son has really enjoyed making new neighborhood friends.  The trampoline has brought social benefits we didn't expect.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter and her ex-boyfriend Sullivan have been working on an art project for several days now.   The dog thankfully jumps over the thick layering of chalk.   My daughter doesn't know it's a rainbow because she can see it, she knows it's so because Sullivan and she have created it together to be a rainbow.




No comments:

Post a Comment