Monday, March 9, 2020

Lactose Intolernment

The dog has ongoing issues with her stool.   Oops, I didn't warn you it was going to be a bodily functions post.  Sorry.  I'll try and keep this high level.   The situation with the dog started some months ago when perhaps we noticed it because we have clean the yard up regularly.   Things weren't as solid as they should be.

We had her tested and she was fine.  There were no parasites or other issues it was determined after an expensive vet visit.   We were given canned food to try for a week and some probiotic to sprinkle on the food.  That seemed to make things better, but it wasn't fixed.

There was a complication in the diagnosis because I'd switched her food and we thought it might be that.   I'd been getting different foods over time, trying different ones out so it wasn't a given it was the one food.   I put her back on the original food and we kept up the probiotic and that sort of worked, but only on some days.  

Since that time I've tried the other, questionable food I'd bought and that doesn't seem to make any difference.   I bought a food recommended by the vet for gut health and sensitive stomach and that hasn't seemed to make much of a steady, regular difference.  

The only thing that I've been unable to completely isolate is people food added to her diet.   We keep saying not to give her anything in the plans on doing a multi-day test but then we forget and/or don't remember to check the productions outside.  

I've mentioned a few times its possible shes lactose intolerant and that perhaps I shouldn't let her have the puppiccino they like to give her at Starbucks.   It's a tiny cup of whipped cream and I'm not sure how much it affects her.   She seems to like it and other people food and nothing bothers her that we can tell.   And yet there is something going on.

We're still working on isolating the cause.   In the meantime, my daughter is telling people the dog is, "lactose intolernment,"

The Big Boy Update:  We have talked to my son about what I think is a lot of things normal for children to go through, but anger management is getting him in trouble more than anything.  We're trying to get him to stop and think and calm down before reacting—which is hard for him.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter knows how to make her brother angry, and then she knows how to play the innocent victim because we're worried about her getting injured.  At this point, it's not possible for her to lose much more in the way of eyesight but she's injured a lot in the general course of the day.   It's not fair for us to be uneven in our parenting with them.  We're trying, but it's tricky and they both know how to work the situation to their advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment