Saturday, March 21, 2020

Homework at Home

My children have been doing school-type things during the week this past week.  We've had them both read for periods of the day and do writing or other things that they would do during the school day.   We don't have access to their curriculum so we were mostly winging it.

My son's school compiled a collection of materials and work for each child to do over the next three weeks and possibly beyond.   As each child is at a different point in their education due to the Montessori method, this work had to be customized for each student.  On Friday, we picked up a bag full of things my son will begin to work on starting Monday.

My daughter's work is more difficult to repeat at home as the class's work needs to be converted into a format she can feel instead of see.   Fortunately, we had extra works her braillest sent home that my daughter elected not to do at the time.   We've saved all of these and she used part of her school time last week on these items.   We don't have enough to nearly last her through the end of the estimated isolation period, but three of the upcoming weeks she's tracked out, so we won't be as far behind if she does things we can come up with at home.

Yesterday, my daughter created some homework for me.   She wanted me to understand I might not have been introduced to everything she was putting in the homework and that that was okay.   Here is my homework assignment:









The Big Boy Update:  I put on a bandana yesterday and my son disliked it.   He told me, "Mom, you look hideous."  I told him it couldn't possibly that bad and that I liked how comfortable it was."  He responded, "No, no, no, it actually makes me feel uncomfortable."   So I sadly took it off.   All humor aside, my son is an excellent judge of fashion.  I regularly ask him if I need help making a choice when picking out my outfits.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter's retired braillest, Mrs. Aagard, messaged me saying she was feeling cooped up at home and asked how things were going on our end.   She gave me some suggestions of things we can do to keep the children entertained creatively during this long downtime.   She also has an exotic pet store that would welcome written inquiries about their products.  I told my daughter she could write a letter asking about their rubber boots for ducks and geese and if they had sweaters for giraffe's necks or curlers for lion's manes.   My daughter looked at me sideways and said, "is this pretend?"  I told her it was, and that Mrs. Aagaard said she could be as silly and creative as possible in her letter.   She's thinking about what to write now.

No comments:

Post a Comment