Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Long Overdue Size Upgrade

My daughter has a small table she works at when she uses her braille writer.   We got it not that long ago…well, maybe it was a while ago…wait, how long ago was it?   Was it when the children were first walking and learning how to sit at a child-sized table?

That’s pretty much the conversation I had with myself not that long ago when I watched my daughter perched on the tiny chair on her feet with her knees bent up and her arms around her legs while she typed.   Was, perhaps, just maybe that table too small for her?   Was, do you think, she bigger than a three-year-old and in need of a taller and larger table?

I’m not sure I’m that smart and/or if I would have realized it had my daughter not been wrestling with  trying to fit her assignment (one stack of braille papers) along with the output from her braille writer at the same time.   She had figured out a way to do it by moving the braille over to the far edge of the little square table and then leaning to the side to type while leaning to the left to read.

That’s when it clicked, “I have a seven-and-a-half-year-old.   Maybe I should look into a bigger desk and chair set for her.”   I’m slow, but when I get a notion to do something, I don’t dither.   But what size desk and chair?   I consulted the World Wide Web via the search engine Google and came up with the specifications I needed.   I found a company that made wooden desks and chairs specific for children and placed the order.

Today it arrived.   I put the table together tonight and my daughter was happy about the upgrade.   She doesn’t think about it this way, but the only place she can, “write” things is at that table, using her braillewriter.   She can barely write her name with a marker, well, she loves writing her name, but only we can read it.   Sighted people need a writing implement and any surface that retains marks and you can write.   My daughter has to type it out, and for that she uses her braille writer, at that one table.    So it’s an important table as far as I’m concerned.

I say my daughter was happy.   She checked it out and then went back to playing songs on the keyboard she’s learned from Chelsea, the music teacher.   Songs she has written out in braille, typed up with her braille writer, so she can remember the order of the keys.

The Big Boy Update:  Tonight I was taking a picture to compare my daughter’s old desk and chair with the new one.   My son photobombed me on the shot.  I swear, he was nowhere near and he wasn’t paying attention to me when I pulled out the phone to take the picture.   He has lightning fast reflexes and an insatiable desire to pose for photos.



The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  For the first time in two years, my daughter got new glasses today.   They look very interesting on her.   They’re very similar to her last glasses, but they’re larger because her face is larger.   She put them on and said almost immediately, “I can’t see with them”.   She was playing a game of old maid with her brother and Madison.   I asked her if she was okay with them and that perhaps it would take her brain a bit to adjust to the new shape and location of these now-larger glasses.   She didn’t seem upset, only thoughtful as she said, “maybe another game of cards will help.”    Later she said things were okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment