Sunday, April 28, 2019

Itchy Scratchy

I have a sore throat.   It’s allergies.   We have this yellow stuff that comes down and while I don’t think it’s that per se, I think it’s something that’s around about the same time, starting a bit later perhaps and lingering on after the yellow pollen has gone.

I have some Benadryl beside the bed.  It’s nice to have the children’s liquid Benadryl around.  I can take a swig of it, gargle it around on my sore throat and then swallow it slowly.   This seems to knock back the itching for a half-day or so.

My son, daughter and I went to a festival for a blind foundation today at a park just five minutes down the road from where we live.   We were there several hours, outdoors, in the breeze, with the pollen.   There was a scavenger hunt that included finding an acorn.   It is way out of season for acorns.   There were none on the ground and none to be found.   We even went into the woods, risking tick exposure, to see if we could find an old acorn a squirrel hadn’t gotten.  

Piling through the woods didn’t help my scratchy, now sore throat, sore did it produce an acorn.   Apparently everyone else turning in their scavenger hunt pretended (or lied) and said they’d seen one because the coordinators didn’t even realize the situation until we told them.   They gave us a prize anyway.

My daughter got prizes for playing games.   She impressed more than one person working in the booths by her braille knowledge.   She just took over one braille and started typing things up for the lady.   I was afraid she was going to use all her paper up before we left.  

It’s spring here, the pollen is a plague to be endured for now.   Soon enough the problem will be the heat.  

The Big Boy Update;  My daughter has a GPS tracking watch that can also make limited calls.  This has proved helpful several times when she’s been lost or has needed help. At the park today my son wasn’t lost, he just didn’t know where we were so he had to mount a search through the festival.   When he found us he said, “Mom, I need a watch phone; I was lost and I didn’t know where you were.”  

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  There was an older gentleman who was blind at the Lion’s Club booth.   He asked my daughter if she knew braille.  She said she did.   He then started asking her if she knew the letters of the alphabet in braille.   He was using a six-slot egg carton and some balls to represent the various braille cell combinations.   My daughter was trying to move quickly through the alphabet but he wanted to move at a very slow and deliberate pace.   She was patient with him and let him ask her the questions to which she’d already completed the answer for him.  I didn’t know that she remembered him from the prior year but at the end she said to him that we’d been here last year.   Maybe we’ll see him next year at the same event.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment