Sunday, April 7, 2019

It Was Coming Eventually

This is a post about lady things.   If you’re not into lady-specific things, you might want to go check out the latest Facebook posts or Instagram or whatever and come back to this social media station tomorrow, because this post is about menopause.

And now that the squeamish have left, let’s get into it.  Bloodwork has show I’ve probably been perimenopausal for a few years now.   I didn’t have a full bloodwork panel run regularly and it wouldn’t have necessarily shown a hormonal trend because I had children late and then was nursing.   But recent tests looked like I was beginning the steps towards menopause.   The question was, when will it really start?

I don’t know for certain what the status is, but I’m pretty sure about where I am because I’m having regular hot flashes.   They’re not too bad; I’ve heard they can be severe including fast-onset drenching sweats, but so far they’re short in duration and not that extreme.   I wondered at first if it was just temperature fluctuations, but it’s happened enough times, multiple per day, over the past few months, which has removed any doubt in my mind.

I’m going in to see my gynecologist soon and I’ll find out more then and what can be done, if anything is really needed, to address the symptoms.   For now, I have to throw off the covers for a minute and then pile them back on again a minute later when I’m back to my normally cold self.

The Big Boy Update:  My son fought me every step of the way on several things today.   I did the, “you will have a consequence, but I haven’t decided what it is yet.   I’ll let you know when I do” option because I truly couldn’t think up anything appropriate at the time and also because I wanted him to be thinking about it, dreading it even, as part of the punishment.   When I did tell him what it was (write a birthday card for a teacher before dinner which is something he would have had to do anyway) he fought long and hard against it while I say in the bonus room with him, trying to be helpful.   He said, “Mom, why are you always angry or sad?”   That struck me.  Am I?  I don’t think I am, but maybe the children get negative feedback from me more than I think.   I’m going to have to think on that one.   A few minutes later though, my son was telling me what a great mother I was.   Sigh, parenting isn’t an easy path to travel.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter decided to go see a movie with her brother and father today.   We didn’t expect her to want to go, mostly because she can’t see it and she usually doesn’t want to go.   But she wanted to today.   Fortunately the movie had assistive audio so she could listen with headphones to the extra audio describing what’s happening in the movie for visually impaired people.   I think she liked the part of the movie she saw before she fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment