Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Furnace Tower

We did lots of things today in Hawaii.   We played supersized chess and checkers, my daughter made a lei, we swam in the pool(s), went on the beach, fed the koi fish, went on a boat ride to take a submarine trip and then went to a luau to end the night.

If I wasn’t so tired and I think I could stay up to write a longer blog post, I’d write more details out.   Maybe <yawn> I’ll get to writing this blog post earlier tomorrow night.

Oh, wait, what is the title of the post about?  I almost forgot.   We were coming back from the volcano the other day and I was trying to describe something off in the distance to my daughter.   I looked at the thing and couldn’t remember what it was called.   It was something I didn’t have an occasion to use the phrase for very often.  

I gave up trying to remember the actual phrase and told my daughter there was a tall, “furnace tower” up ahead.   Everyone laughed at me.   My husband said he thought, ‘furnace tower’ was better than ‘smoke stack’ anyways.   It would appear there are a number of these furnace towers around Maui because we saw another one today.

The Big Boy Update:  At the luau tonight there was a prayer at the beginning.   Everyone was suppose to hold hands around the table.   We were in a long table with another family beside us.   My son reached out for the girl’s hand beside him.   She wasn’t so sure about him though.   My son wasn’t shy at all, it was what was done and he was fine holding someone unknowns hand.   He was friendly about it and they eventually figured out a way to make peace with things before the prayer was over.

The Tiny Girl Chronicles:  My daughter very much wanted to make a lei.   We reserved a spot and then met this morning together with other people in the activity center.   There was a problem though—the long, sharp needle used to string up the orchid flowers.   After a few false starts she got the hang of it.   It’s harder to know what to do when you don’t know where the end of the long needle is until you find it.   Pushing it through small, delicate flowers you’re holding and not poking yourself is a second challenge.   She didn’t give up though and is proud of her lei we’re keeping fresh in the refrigerator.





No comments:

Post a Comment